none
Timesheet Processing Clarification RRS feed

• Question

• I was asked a question about a customer who is looking to disable "Protected Actuals" in Project Server 2010. Their concern being that allowing a Project Manager to edit "actuals" might revise timesheet data submitted by resources.

My appreciation of the solution is that Task Status and Timesheet recording CAN be divorced from each other or using Single Entry Mode timesheet updates can be used to update task status - I found a "Best Practise" guide on this from Microsoft that is very useful and sound in its logic.

I also found some flow diagrams explaining the processing of timesheets which was very useful, however I have a concern about the handling of data as shown on the third page which shows Standard (separate views) approach - for the Timesheet manager it shows that once they have approved a timesheet the Timesheet manager can "save to project" whereas with the Project Manager approval process the next step after approval is "publish task progress".

My understanding of the separation of Tasks and Timesheets has always been that it provides organisations with the opportunity to record time spent separate from progress made and that in this mode entries in timesheets have no influence on the Project schedule. 

For my own sanity am I correct in assuming that "save to project" infers that the approved timesheet time is allocated to the relevant project(s) for internal reporting and analysis and is NOT used to update the project schedule.

Dominic Moss MAPM, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
    Wellingtone PM News
    Wellingtone EPM Site
    Wellingtone PM Recruitment

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:46 PM

All replies

• Dominic,

I agree with you. No matter how I look at it, I cannot interpret the "Save to project" box in the separated view page as shown.

I am inclined to say, it could be an oversight.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:08 AM
  • Prasanna - looking at the Flow Diagram my interpretation of the "Save to Project" activity after Timesheet Approval is that it "Associates" the approved timesheet bookings with the relevant Project and that this action does not update the project schedule in any way. No other responses to this thread so that is what I am going to run with unless I am told something to the contrary.

Dominic Moss MAPM, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
    Wellingtone PM News
    Wellingtone EPM Site
    Wellingtone PM Recruitment

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:59 AM