Moss 2007 Database Connectivity Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are getting intermittent database connectivity issues since last week in the event viewer and in ULS logs. This is happening in all front end servers. We haven't done any latest updates in the farm recently. Captured all the event viewers. Could you please some one let us know what would be the issue. I am suspecting this is causing to prompt user name and password login multiple times for the users while logging to the sites.

I would appreciate quick responses.

Event ID: 5586.

Unknown SQL Exception 53 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Event ID: 3355

Cannot connect to SQL Server. USPGH-ISPPRTCDB not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Cannot connect to SQL Server. USPGH-ISPCOLCDB not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Cannot connect to SQL Server. USPGH-ISPMYCDB not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Regards,

Subbu

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:16 PM

All replies

• Those are generic unable to contact SQL messages. You should check that your SQL server was up and running in a healthy state during those times and that there weren't any network issues.

The primary cause of these issues (in intermittent cases) is that the SQL server can't be reached due to the server crashing or the network failing. The second most common cause is that the server is overloaded and can't respond to the queries within the timeout window.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:48 PM
  • I have checked with DB Admins. SQL server was up and running. I don't see any network failing during this time.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:02 AM
  • Then i'd check the second concern, start some perfmon logging to see the SQL load, CPU, RAM and response times. If they are all fine but you're still getting intermittent issues then it's probably not SQL.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:05 AM
  • Thanks Alex,

I have checked with DB team. There is no problem with SQL at all. CPU usage and no problem wiht load times. Not sure what is the root cause.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:28 PM
  • Hi,

It would be problem with switch physical or virtual if you have Hyper-V.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:35 PM