File corruption RRS feed

• Question

• Might be in the wrong place, but this may well be hardware related at some level.

I have just migrated from XP to Vista, making a backup of my important files on another hard drive, formatting the drive and installing Vista from scratch.

Not a problem - everything works, happy as larry, until of course I copy those files back.
    For some reason, something in the process has corrupted nearly every .exe file over a few megabytes - small files are unaffected but anything large is absolutely nackered and no tricks I know to "repair" them work.

Thankfully I run a "dual backup" system - everything important is also on removable media, however this is the second time I've had the same issue. The first time I was running an AMD Barton 3200, 1.5gb ram and a 200gb WD hdd - this time its a slightly different system, c2d 6300, 1.5gb ram and a 400gb WD drive.
    I'd quite like to know what's happening so it can be stopped in future, if it's a common or simple issue? has anyone else experienced this?
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:41 PM

All replies

• We recently purchased a new computer with VISTA and have the same problem with large files created in XP now corrupting.  They are fine when loaded intially but after you work in them then save the files corrupt.  Any ideas on how to avoid?

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:40 PM