Trying to install MSP file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have written a script that successfully installs three MSIs. One of those needs updating. I can't get the MSP to install. The MSI switch help menu keeps coming up.

$sgnDir = "\\server\ad_software_install$\SGN"
    Set-Location $sgnDir

$sgnclient_W8_10_x64 = "/I 2-SGNClient_x64.msi /QB /NORESTART /L*vx $env:Windir\Temp\SGNClient_x64-$env:computername.log ADDLOCAL=Client,BaseEncryption,BitLockerSupport,CredentialProvider,NextGenDataProtection"

$return = Start-Process msiexec.exe -ArgumentList $sgnclient_W8_10_x64 -Wait -passthru

That all works fine

I then try this

$client_patch_x86="/update 4-SGN_8.0_Windows_Client_Rollup_Patch_x86.msp /QB /NORESTART /L*vx $env:Windir\Temp\SGNPatch_x86-$env:computername.log"

$return = Start-Process msiexec.exe -ArgumentList  $client_patch_x86 -Wait -passthru

This doesn't work. What am I missing?

All help would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Michael

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:46 PM

All replies

• msiexec /p “<msp file name with path>” /qn

\_(ツ)_/

• Proposed as answer by BOfH-666 Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:30 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:01 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The command is now

$client_patch_x86="/p 4-SGN_8.0_Windows_Client_Rollup_Patch_x86.msp /QB /NORESTART"

$return = Start-Process msiexec.exe -ArgumentList  $client_patch_x86 -Wait -passthru

When I do that I get this.

Any ideas why that would be? I can double click the msp file from that path with no issue.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:26 AM
  • Start-Process msiexec  -ArgumentList  '/p -4-SGN_8.0_Windows_Client_Rollup_Patch_x86.msp /qn'

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:46 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply. 

I have tried that and I don't see msiexec running in processes. Should /qb work? It would be nice to watch it install, the change to /qn. I am not getting the msi switches screen anymore.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 8:24 AM
  • Hi Michael,

According to your situation, please also try with the last example in the article below:
    msiexec /i A:\Example.msi PATCH=msipatch.msp;msipatch2.msp /qb
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367988.aspx

If you need further help, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:09 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I have gone back to basics and trying to run it from CMD first, then I will take it back to PowerShell.

I have tried this

C:\Windows\system32>msiexec /i \\server\ad_software_install$\SGN\2-SGNClient_x86.msi  PATCH=\\server\ad_software_install$\SGN\4-SGN_8.0_Windows_Client_Rollup_Patch_x86.msp /qb

This give me this result

I then tried this

C:\Windows\system32>msiexec /update \\server\ad_software_install$\SGN\2-SGNClient_x86.msi  PATCH=\\server\ad_software_install$\SGN\4-SGN_8.0_Windows_Client_Rollup_Patch_x86.msp /qb

This gave me this result

Any thoughts?

Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:21 AM
  • The error is telling 7you exactly what you have to do.  Contact the vendor for a fix.

This is a scripting forum. It is no a place to get help with third party installers.  Please contact the vendor.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:29 AM
  • I was having the same problem until I used the full path, here is a snippet of the powershell I ran:

$ScriptDirectory = split-path -parent $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition
    $msi = "$ScriptDirectory\SGNClient_x64.msi"
    $msp = "$ScriptDirectory\SGN8005Patch1804_x64.msp"
    $cfg = "`"Managed Client `(Default`).msi`""
    $logfile = "`"$env:SystemRoot\Temp\SafeguardClientx64.log`""

$Arguments = @(
                    "/i", 
                    $msi,  
                    "ADDLOCAL=Client,CredentialProvider,BaseEncryption,BitLockerSupport",
                    "POACFG=POACFG_8_00.xml",
                    "PATCH=$msp", 
                    "/qn", 
                    "/l*v", 
                    $logfile )
    }

Process {
        Write-Host "Installating $Application with Arguments $Arguments"
        $Install = Start-Process -FilePath msiexec.exe -ArgumentList $Arguments -wait -PassThru
        $Exitcode = $Install.ExitCode

hope that helps,

Best regards,

- ISH

Monday, January 7, 2019 6:06 PM