SharePoint backup size estimation RRS feed

• Question

• How to estimate the size of the database that need to be backup? I read some reference that the size is about 2.5*content database.

How about the backup size using back-spfarm? Is there any compression when backup as bak files? How to set the compression ratio?

So, is the full backup size calculated as 2.5*content database*compress ratio? And what is the differential backup size estimation?

Overall, I need to plan the space required for a weekly full and 5-6 differential backup.

Thanks for providing any ideas that I am not clear.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 5:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

File size of back up spfarm sharepoint almost 1 to 1.5 X from you db. (i.e if database size is 1 gb, back up file is 1.3 gb.)

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Monday, April 25, 2011 2:12 AM
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

File size of back up spfarm sharepoint almost 1 to 1.5 X from you db. (i.e if database size is 1 gb, back up file is 1.3 gb.)

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Monday, April 25, 2011 2:12 AM
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Is this reference ok? http://www.sharepointsharon.com/2010/09/sizing-pt2-databases/

Can I just use the formula to estimate the content database size and then X 1.3 to get the backup file size?

Monday, April 18, 2011 2:29 AM
  • I didnt read this article before.

I get estimation size when backup my site collection with spfarm(with powershell).

Monday, April 18, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi, we are using a powershell script to calculate the SPSite size in MOSS 2007, same script could work in 2010 and 2013. The result from this + 6 % will return you the ruff size of the backup: It is working for us. Cheers

function Site-Space ($sitecola)
    {
    [reflection.assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SharePoint") | out-null
    $sitea = [Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite]($sitecola)
    [int]$sitespacesite = $sitea.Usage.Storage /1MB
    $siterecyclebin = $sitea.RecycleBin | Where {$_.ItemState.ToString() -eq 'SecondStageRecycleBin'}
    If ($siterecyclebin -ne $null)
    {
    	ForEach($recycleitem in $siterecyclebin)
    	{
    		[int]$recyclesize = $recyclesize + ($recycleitem.Size /1MB)
    	}
    	$sitespace += ($sitespacesite + $recyclesize)
    }
    Else
    {
    	$sitespace = $sitespacesite
    }
    return $sitespace
    }

Friday, January 17, 2014 9:43 AM
  • I would rather see this formula to estimate the content database size as X 1.3 so we have enough drive space.

Please let me know, Does anyone have Sizing/Farm planning approach or best practice.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 12:00 PM