none
OLAP Database Management - Build Failure! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a Project Server 2013 within a Sharepoint 2013 on a Windows 2012 R2 maschine, with SQL 2014 already installed on it. Here is my problem, when i try to build the OLAP Database i get Build Failure with :

===== Initiating OLAP database build process =====
    [7/7/2015 9:49 AM] Cube build request message has been added to the Project Server queue
    ===== Process Completed =====
    [7/7/2015 9:49 AM] Failed to build the OLAP cubes. Error: The attempt to build the OLAP database on server 10.21.18.16 failed, the SQL Server Analysis Services Analysis Management Objects (AMO) client software may not be installed on this server, please install/update the client on this server and retry. The underlying exception was: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

The funny thing is that i looked for the AMO software for SQL2014 :https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42295 

So i installed AMO (ENU\x86\SQL_AS_AMO.msi). The error keeps coming. I restarted the server as a whole. Still the same error. Am i missing something?

It seems like something simple like install and it works, but it doesn't seem like it. Am i installing the wrong software? Or is there something else i am missing?

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 6:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• The AMO version that Project can use is version specific, due to the way SQL created the AMO add-in. The one for SQL 2014 won't work. The TechNet article for configuring Business Intelligence has a link to the correct AMO version for you to load. Also, look at which SQL Native Client is required. You may get an error on that after you get past the AMO issue.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | CIO Magazine Blog | Learn Resource Management

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 4:36 PM
  • Wait a second, so i should install an AMO addin for SQl 2012 or what? I don't really understand. Do you have the link you are refering to? Installing a new DB like SQL 2012 is out of the question for me. I have SQL 2014 and i'm stuck with it. That is why this is weird to me, it says install AMO, so i get AMO for SQL 2014 but it doesn't work. When you say version specific, what should i look for?
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 5:41 AM
  • Hi George,

You need to install the AMO addin for SQL Server 2008 R2 on the project server application server and, if that one doesn't work, install the SQL Server 2008 AMO.

Details can be found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2012/11/12/project-server-2013-requirements-to-build-an-olap-cube.aspx

I would install the SQL Server 2008 AMO version first as the error points to that version

Hope this helps

Paul

• Marked as answer by George Teodor Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:15 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Yep, SQL made it where you have to code for a specific version of AMO, instead of version or later version. I'm assuming we'll see this requirement updated to a later AMO version with Project 2016.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | CIO Magazine Blog | Learn Resource Management

Thursday, July 9, 2015 1:26 AM
  • Ok, i installed the SQL 2008 AMO SP2, it was the earliest i could find as you can see:

Even so i still get error:

Do i need to restart the server after uninstalling the other versions of AMO and installing the 2008 one?

Thursday, July 9, 2015 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

The SQL 2008 AMO SP2 should be installed on the app server. The Microsoft Project Server Queue service should be restarted following the installation on this component.

Paul

Thursday, July 9, 2015 7:59 AM
  • After restarting the service it worked, Build Success! Thank you.
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:15 AM