How to change domain name on Windows 2003 running Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a windows 2003 server running Exchange 2007.  I am wanting to rename the domain, however when I search the web for the process to perform a rename of the domain I see "The domain rename operation is not supported in Microsoft Exchange Server 2007".  How can a domain name be changed?  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781575%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

The server runs active directory, dns, dhcp, and Exchange 2007.

This change is being inspired by the change with SSL certs where internal addresses like .local will no longer be supported in the third party certificate registrars.  Recently we renewed our cert and did not include the .local URL.  Now the internal systems are getting warnings about the cert.   I tried generating an internal self signed cert but it seems only one cert can be valid with exchange 2007 running on windows 2003.  Thus the internal cert replaced the external cert and allowed the internal systems to run without complaining about the cert but the external access was causing warnings.  I reversed back to the third party cert.  This cert has company.com and mail.company.com and autodiscovery.  I believe if I rename the server to server2.company.com the autodiscovery will allow the server2 to be mapped to company.com and the cert will be valid for internal clients.

Do I have this correct?  Are there errors with what I have found so far?

Any suggestions about how to solve this issue short of getting a new server? How can I rename the domain?

• Edited by tkman26b Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:55 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:54 PM

Answers

All replies