adding new column from excel in the middle without deleting existing columns in powerbi after refresh RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

i have a challenge to add new column which was added to powerbi from excel sheet after updation, the column is added in middle not at end. so, when i refresh the data, the last column is missing to datasource and i get the error: amount column was not found. how can i refresh the updated excel data without columns missing??

previous excel

name      date              amount

xxx    12/08/2016         10.00

yyy     13/08/2016         50.00

updated excel

name      date              department      amount

xxx    12/08/2016            SCIENCE         10.00

yyy     13/08/2016            MATHS           50.00

if i refresh powerbi report, the amount column is missing & shows error.

i tried with copying excel data to new sheet and uploading again. doesn't work..

pls help.

thanx in advance..

lucky

• Edited by LuckyLucky12 Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:37 PM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:20 PM

Answers

• Most likely, your existing code removes this column, as by default the first import-step will import the whole table.

Please click on the first step of your query and check what's in there. Then move trough every step to see where it disappears.

Imke Feldmann - MVP Data Platform (PowerBI) - http://www.TheBIccountant.com 

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful - Thanks!

Friday, September 15, 2017 5:37 AM

All replies

• Most likely, your existing code removes this column, as by default the first import-step will import the whole table.

Please click on the first step of your query and check what's in there. Then move trough every step to see where it disappears.

Imke Feldmann - MVP Data Platform (PowerBI) - http://www.TheBIccountant.com 

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful - Thanks!

Friday, September 15, 2017 5:37 AM
  • Hi Imke Feldmann,

I resolved it. I changed the code a liitle bit in MQuery(Query editor). Changed the number of columns to 4(previuosly it was 3) and it worked fine..

lucky

Friday, September 15, 2017 8:29 AM