SQL and MPLS Woes RRS feed

• Question

• We recently went to a MPLS WAN and our program (VB) that uses SQL as the database has gone to a crawl. When we were on Frame Relay we were taking about 40 seconds to log on and data to show, it is now 7+ minutes. The carrier says nothing is wrong, all tests are normal.

The odd thing is that bandwidth intensive items like streaming video and most web based items run great (many times faster). Been working on this for many weeks to no avail. Carrier said they are done troubleshooting, they have nothing wrong with their system.

Any help or ideas appreciated,

Mike

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Here is another thread for slow SQL Server performance in a MPLS network, you may refer to it:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldataaccess/thread/b0d98aff-f007-403c-b179-80bb6591a2e6

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Proposed as answer by Dan Benediktson Friday, December 17, 2010 5:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:38 AM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:40 AM
  • It seems likely that your problem is not bandwidth, but rather latency. I would suggest taking a network capture on both ends of the connection, as was done in the thread Jian linked, and comparing the time it takes for the SQL Server packets to pass between the client and server.
    This post is provided 'as is' and confers no express or implied warranties or rights.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Here is another thread for slow SQL Server performance in a MPLS network, you may refer to it:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldataaccess/thread/b0d98aff-f007-403c-b179-80bb6591a2e6

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Proposed as answer by Dan Benediktson Friday, December 17, 2010 5:45 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:40 AM
  • It seems likely that your problem is not bandwidth, but rather latency. I would suggest taking a network capture on both ends of the connection, as was done in the thread Jian linked, and comparing the time it takes for the SQL Server packets to pass between the client and server.
    This post is provided 'as is' and confers no express or implied warranties or rights.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Continuing to have the same issues.  We brought MS on board and they checked SQL and nothing wrong there. We currently are working with the Network team, but yet to find an answer.What I have seen through my research is that when you combine SQL and a VLan (like MPLS) or a VLan over say a cable connection SQL tanks.I did notice onething though... during a packet capture, my remote connections use port 3459  and local uses 2482, so far that is the only difference I can find.

Mike

Friday, March 4, 2011 12:31 AM