Lync 2013 / Skype for Business Coexistence - Reverse Proxy RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently in a coexistence state with Lync 2013 and Skype for Business.

Internal services are working properly for both systems and all external traffic is now being routed through the Skype for Business Edge server.

I am currently using an ARR reverse proxy with the Lync 2013 servers that is working properly.  I have attempted to add URL Rewrite rules and other setup requirements for the Skype for Business servers but have not been able to connect using a mobile device and Skype for Business homed user.

A new certificate has been installed on the Reverse Proxy that does contain the SAN names needed for both the Lync 2013 and Skype for business servers.

Running the Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer shows success when using a Skype for Business homed user.  The only odd thing that I see in the results of the Analyzer is that the Lync 2013 Front End servers and Web Services information are being used for things like the the Web Ticket URL.

Any reason why I can not use this one reverse proxy server to facilitate both Lync 2013 and Skype for Business setups in coexistence for a few weeks?

Monday, December 10, 2018 9:06 PM

All replies

• Hi mlross,

When Lync server 2013 is coexisted with Skype for business 2015, DNS record could point to Lync server 2013, or Skype for business server 2015, because request from Lync server 2013 could be redirected to Skype for business server 2015.

Also, please kindly note DNS record should be pointed to Skype for business server 2015 when we will decommission Lync server 2013. Please check your DNS records and should be configured as following:

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:59 AM
  • I guess my first question is:

With Lync 2013 and Skype for Business in coexistence, is it even possible to set up our current reverse proxy to handle requests for both systems? Will the reverse proxy know where to route requests coming from users homed on two different systems?

• Edited by mlross Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:49 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 5:13 PM
  • Hi,

Are the external web services/Simple URLs FQDN same for Lync 2013 and SFB 2015 server?

If not, I think you may create different rules for each FQDN in RP server.

If yes, I assume you have multiple internal DNS records for these FQDNs pointing to both 2013/2015 servers, then the request through RP may have a DNS LB scenario, but finally it will hit the server side. The user is in one organization when coexistence, request will be redirected to the user homed pool.

• Edited by Shaw_Lu Friday, December 14, 2018 9:09 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2018 9:09 AM
  • The external web services FQDN are different for Lync 2013 and Skype for Business.

Meet, dialin, etc currently have the same FQDN for both systems.

Friday, December 14, 2018 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

If you are using different external web services FQDN, please make sure the DNS records are added properly.

In the coexistence environment, you will have to point both external web service FQDN to RP public IP to ensure the normal service provide for the users in both pools.

Please create a new A record in DNS (both internal and external DNS configuration) pointing this External web service FQDN of your new Skype for Business server to RP public IP.

Also please update RP certificate SAN to add external web service FQDN of SFB server.

Then, check again the traffic of web service routing for the user homed in SFB server.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Friday, December 21, 2018 10:05 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 10:57 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue. 

With best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Monday, December 24, 2018 9:26 AM
  • The issue was solved by correcting an error on the reverse proxy that I must have made.  The Skype for Business front end server listed on the reverse proxy had a port of 443 listed.  Once the port was changed to 4443 traffic started to flow and the issue was resolved.
    • Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Wednesday, January 2, 2019 8:51 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2018 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear the issue was solved, thanks for sharing! :)

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 8:50 AM