none
Upgrade AD 2003 to 2016

Question

• Hi Guys

I need to upgrade an existing Windows Server 2003 to 2016 and need some advice,

1. Can we do an in-place upgrade?

2. If we need to do a side by side upgrade what would be the upgrade path of this?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• In-place upgrade is not support nor is it recommended.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/identity/ad-ds/windows-server-2016-functional-levels

Better to stand up the new one, patch it fully, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it. When all is good then you can demote / decommission the old one.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:25 AM
  • Hi Dave

Thanks for your response.

How about if existing server 2003 is 32bit edition?Can i still directly bring in a 64bit Server 2016 and proceed with the upgrade and moving of roles etc?

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:32 AM
  • If you asking about in-place upgrade then no it is not possible to upgrade any windows  32 bit OS to 64 bit. Introducing a 2016 DC in 2003 environment should not be a problem.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:56 AM
  • I agree with the others that in place upgrade is not possible. How many users are we talking about?

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:34 AM
  • Hi Guys

2. If we need to do a side by side upgrade what would be the upgrade path of this?

Thanks

One option can be like this:

1. expand schema to support 2008, then introduce your first 2008 DC.
    2. After that once again you need to expand schema in order to support 2008 R2 and introduce your first 2008 R2.
    3. Move FSMO roles to your new 2008 R2 and demote and dump the old DC's.
    4. Extend schema one more time for 2012 R2 and introduce your first 2012 R2 DC.

and continue until all your DC's are 2016.. This might take some time but this is one of the path I will follow which is called "Chain Migration" in my terms. :)

Mahdi Tehrani   |     |   www.mahditehrani.ir
    Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people.
    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:06 AM
  • Hi Guys

Thanks

Hi

No,you shouldn't perform in-place upgrade(not recommended in-place upgrade on DC's),Even you can't migrate server 2003 to server 2016 directly,first you should migrate server 2008 at least.(functional level needs to be server 2008 at least for server 2016 migration.)

Check that for details ; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/identity/ad-ds/windows-server-2016-functional-levels

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Edited by Burak Uğur Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:53 AM
    • Proposed as answer by AlvwanModerator Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:43 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:44 AM
  • Hi!

why you advice to first introduce a 2008DC and then 2012R2, in the link you passed it says that in order to install a domain controller 2012R2 the domain functional level must be 2003 or higher, so If you have a 2003DC, you should check that the DFL is 2003 and then you can introduce a 2012R2 without doing a 2008R2 installation. 

Cristian L Ruiz

Monday, July 2, 2018 4:01 PM
  • Hi Guys

Thanks

Hi

No,you shouldn't perform in-place upgrade(not recommended in-place upgrade on DC's),Even you can't migrate server 2003 to server 2016 directly,first you should migrate server 2008 at least.(functional level needs to be server 2008 at least for server 2016 migration.)

Check that for details ; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/identity/ad-ds/windows-server-2016-functional-levels

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

I'd start a new thread detailing your issues. 

Monday, July 2, 2018 4:04 PM