[1709] Outlook 2016 notifications are no longer visible RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading to Windows 10 Enterprise 1709 (from 1703), Outlook 2016 is completely missing from 'Notifications & actions.' When a new email comes in, the taskbar still changes to a mailbox icon but no actual desktop alert (or sound) notification.

I've checked the registry for Microsoft.Office.OUTLOOK.EXE.16 and it's still the same as a working computer with 1703, entries under \Notifications\Settings & \PushNotifications. I also tried removing everything under C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Notifications and restarting the computer. I've tried to repair the Office installation as well with no luck.

Has anyone seen programs like Outlook not registering at all in the 'Notifications & actions' panel?

Monday, October 30, 2017 8:52 PM

Answers

• After finding some forums about Office 2013 & Windows 8/Server 2012, it seems it comes down just to the shortcuts for Microsoft Office ("Outlook 2016.lnk").

My configuration was to put all Office shortcuts in a different shortcut folder, which then generates the shortcuts with a different target path than the default setup (Icon###############.exe instead of outicon.exe). I tried to just use a PowerShell script to change the shortcuts to match, but that seems to not work either.

I did a fresh install without any admin file, copied the shortcuts generated to a folder. Now I just have to replace the shortcuts on a machine with broken notifications with those shortcuts, notifications begin working again. At least it doesn't require a full uninstall/reinstall.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:27 PM

All replies

• Desktop Alert notifications don’t appear during the initial synchronization of an email account or when you request a manual Send/Receive.

Also, if you're using message rules and a new message is moved out of the default account Inbox, you might not receive a Desktop Alert notification, or the Desktop Alert notification might not appear for the full duration of time that you configured in the settings for the Desktop Alerts feature.

Besides, reinstall Office 2016 and re-configure your email profile in Control Panel

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 3:16 AM
  • Yeah same here. On two devices; one runnning W10 Fall Creators update and one Windows 8.1

No desktop alert, no sound, no envelope.

Tried turning notifications off an on again nothing works so far.

Seems like a Outlook 2016 bug.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 12:36 PM
  • I did some testing on a VM and it seems if I install a fresh copy of Office 2016 by itself, notifications get detected. If I do the install with my custom .msp, it doesn't. So I'm just going to have to test the settings one by one and see which one seems to be causing an issue with Outlook's notifications.
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 12:59 PM
  • After finding some forums about Office 2013 & Windows 8/Server 2012, it seems it comes down just to the shortcuts for Microsoft Office ("Outlook 2016.lnk").

My configuration was to put all Office shortcuts in a different shortcut folder, which then generates the shortcuts with a different target path than the default setup (Icon###############.exe instead of outicon.exe). I tried to just use a PowerShell script to change the shortcuts to match, but that seems to not work either.

I did a fresh install without any admin file, copied the shortcuts generated to a folder. Now I just have to replace the shortcuts on a machine with broken notifications with those shortcuts, notifications begin working again. At least it doesn't require a full uninstall/reinstall.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:27 PM
  • An simple and effective solution, glad to hear that your Office problem has been solved by yourself, please mark your reply to close this case.

shortcut method will help other forum users, thanks for shsaring

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 1:12 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same issue where the notifications are no longer working after updating to 1709.

I also have a Office customization file (OCT/MSP file) which includes the customization of shortcuts on the desktop and grouping into a folder within the start menu.

This has worked completely fine on both Windows 10 1607 and 1703. It is only an issue on 1709.

Outlook does not appear under the notification settings in Windows. It should appear under "Get notifications from these senders".

If I also install Office with no customization to the shortcuts (as in a vanilla install), the notifications work correctly and also Outlook appears under "Get notifications from these senders" within the windows settings.

I noticed the broken icons (icon.######.######etc.exe) appear in the folder C:\Windows\Installer\{90160000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}.

I have attempted your 'fix' of installing the vanilla/non-customized Office 2016, and moving the shortcuts into C:\Windows\Installer\{90160000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} and also into the C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ folder ; then perform a restart however the notifications still do not work.

Is there another location these icons need to be copied to in order to resolve this?

Microsoft really should be fixing this bug they have created in 1709.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Hello mtisd,

Could you kindly provide an update/reply on the question I posted last week? Looking forward to your answer.

Best regards.

Monday, December 11, 2017 2:06 AM
  • I didn't change anything with the icons or anything under Windows\Installer. I just took the shortcuts from a default install and copied them over the shortcuts in the Start Menu folder.

I've tested a few times with upgrading from 1703 to 1709 and just running a script to copy the original shortcuts from a folder and it's kept the notifications.

Monday, January 15, 2018 10:16 PM
  • BUMP! Very frustrating problem for a big company...! Need a real fix for this!
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:45 PM
  • I have just come across this issue and am working on a more universal solution. 

I did find when Outlook is put into compatibility mode for Windows 7, Notifications are working as well as the "Desktop Alert Settings" button in Outlook Mail Options. 

So far the only sorta-fix I have found that can be distributed en-mass via GP is to update the registry in HKCU which is a clunky fix. Here's the String I found on Spiceworks:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
    "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Office\\root\\Office16\\OUTLOOK.EXE"="~ WIN7RTM"

Edit to your needs of course. 

If I can figure out a way to change this via PS I'll post it. 

• Proposed as answer by jeffrey.sharer Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:49 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:09 AM
  • hi, 

i have  your same problem with windows 10 1709 and Microsoft outlook pro 2016. It's impossible hear sound and see desktop message when arrive new email.

I just apply all your suggest but nothing work good, it's very very strange.

regards

Alessio

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 12:00 PM
  • Hi

Look at this: https://www.itninja.com/blog/view/outlook-desktop-alerts-toast-notifications-in-windows-10-build-1709

Regards,

Wolfgang

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 2:06 PM
  • I can confirm that the issue is related to the shortcuts generated by a customized Office installation.  I have a new Windows 10 1803 laptop with Office 2016 Pro Plus, provisioned by Corporate. I noticed that I wasn't seeing email notifications, which led me down this debugging path.  Strangely, I was able to see Outlook briefly in the Notifications & actions Settings "Get notifications from these senders" section, but it disappeared after I toggled some settings.  After that, I could never see it again.  The Toast style notifications never worked, although I could see the small envelope icon in the system tray.  Toast notifications also failed to work with a custom rule to force notifications for all incoming email.

I had the IT folks put the Office 2016 installer on the network and remove the customization MSP file.  I uninstalled Office, rebooted, and installed using the unmodified Office 2016 Pro Plus installer MSI.  Notifications worked immediately.  I copied off the shortcuts from my Start menu (which were now in the Start menu instead of a folder under the Start menu) and sent them to IT.  I believe these can be pasted into the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder of affected machines running the same version and flavor of Office to fix the notification issue.

Overall, I am disappointed with Microsoft and Windows 10 - particularly in a corporate environment.  We ran Windows 7 until the wheels fell off, without any issue.  We didn't have Creators Edition or any other such nonsense, and Windows 7 was rock solid and did what it was intended to do.  I won't even go into the chaos with Settings in Windows 10, and the disappearing Control Panel we are all used to.  I thought Microsoft was listening after the Start menu fiasco, but apparently not.

Friday, January 4, 2019 3:41 PM
  • I copied off the shortcuts from my Start menu (which were now in the Start menu instead of a folder under the Start menu) and sent them to IT.  I believe these can be pasted into the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder of affected machines running the same version and flavor of Office to fix the notification issue.

You wouldn't happen to be able to share those shortcuts, would you? It would save me some time! 
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 1:48 AM