IE 11 keeps re-installing itself RRS feed

• Question

• In the past when our clients got an IE update such as IE 9 or 10 it would sometimes cause certain older sites to stop functioning. An easy fix was just to uninstall the newest version of IE and it would revert back to the working version.

With IE 11 it seems that even after uninstalling IE 11 after 24 hours IE 11 will re-install itself through the microsoft updates.

Microsoft released an IE 10 and 11 patch that a user can install to block IE 10 or 11 from installing if you used the /B option. We have installed said patch for both 10 and 11 on multiple clients PCs and IE 11 still re-installs itself the next day.

Please advise.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:20 PM

All replies

• Try opening IE 10 and going to Help/About Internet Explorer and unchecking the box "Install new versions automatically."  I believe this was introduced in IE 10 and would cause the problem you are having. 

You can also try installing the IE 10 Blocker toolkit: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/jj898508.aspx

Thanks. 

• Edited by jerrypanski Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:19 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:14 PM
  • I already made mention that the Blocker was installed, the registry was made and it did nothing.

Unfortunately the client needs to stay at IE 9. There is no disable IE updates option in IE 9

Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:14 PM
  • There is no disable IE updates option in IE 9

Where are you looking?  I think it has previously been an option in the Advanced tab.  In fact, seeing it in the Help About dialog in IE11 seems new to me.

In any case, you could use the Windows Update tool to block an update before it gets installed.  FWIW I recently had to do that with an IE cumulative update for W7sp1 and that lasted until that update was superseded.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, November 24, 2013 2:40 AM
    Answerer
  • Again I have already installed to IE 11 and IE 10 blocker and have unchecked the IE updates box in IE AND have completely disabled windows updates.

IE 11 STILL COMES BACK THE NEXT DAY IT WONT DIE.

Friday, December 6, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Having the exact same issue and understand your frustration completely!

We're a Win7 shop and have to use IE10 because one of our vendors doesn't support IE11 yet

Unfortunately, it looks like the IE11 blocker kit only works if it was in place before the update was downloaded and installed on the machine. And yes, I ran it correctly since I'm able to verify that the REGEDITs do exist

I have multiple machines where I've rolled back from IE11 to IE10 (using Add/Remove Programs, Installed Updates) only to have it reinstall during a reboot within the next few days. Upon rolling back to IE10, I've gone into IE10 and disabled auto update and also went into Windows Updates and found the IE11 update and selected "HIDE UPDATE". Nothing seems to have any effect =\

Next step will be to try and corrupt the install file or work w the ESE database to remove the update from there

GaryZ10 - have you had any luck?

• Edited by K Freeman Monday, December 9, 2013 8:13 PM
    Monday, December 9, 2013 8:11 PM
  • i would just recommend you to download and install google chrome or torch or any other browser
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:19 AM