Windows 7 Backup slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Windows Backup for the first time and it is creating a system image, I have around 250GB of files on my hard disk. I started the backup yesterday morning, it is backing to a USB 3.0 hard drive (I think my USB port is 2.0 though), after 24 hours it is 71% complete ("creating system image") and it spent most of yesterday on 57-58% complete. This seems to be inordinately long. I have 160GB free on my hard drive, but I have no idea whether this will be enough (there was no estimate of the space I might need), I can probably clear more if necessary. I would rather it didn't crash as it crashed the first time I tried to run the backup due to an update requiring an automatic restart overnight. I have seen a couple of threads about the speed of Windows Backup, but they seem to be about 4 years old, so I thought these issues might have been addressed since then. Can anyone tell me how long the backup might take and how much space might be required please?

Thanks Annette

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The backup will take a very Long time the first time you start it. Once the FIRST backup is finished, the second will run really fast and so on.

First backup  = complete Image, after that the backups are incremental, thats why they are faster.

you can use wbsadmin in the DOS box to check and Change your backup schedules and Counts if necessary.

leave it running until it has finished.

Kr´s

• Edited by ianthony.bishop Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:44 AM
    • Proposed as answer by 暁北 Friday, February 7, 2014 2:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, February 17, 2014 1:20 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:40 AM