none
Project Calendars are too complicated.... RRS feed

• Question

• I'm still trying to figure out why calendars are so restrictive in MS Project Server 2007.  

In IT at our company, we work Sundays on projects on an as-needed basis (production system changes).  So, a project task may be scheduled for a Sunday, but Sunday is not a regular working day.  Since our Project Server 2007 implementaton is locked to only allow Enterprise Calendars, the only options I see are:

1.            Create yet another Enterprise calendar that supports IT Sundays.  The problem with this approach is that it I will have to manually restrain some tasks when creating a project schedule to skip Sundays that don't require work. 

2.            Configure Project Server to allow using local calendars.  The problem with this approach is that I will have to manually load holidays into my local project calendar .   Additionally, it opens us up to potential issues from users incorrectly choosing a local calendar when an Enterprise Calendar is more appropriate.

In both instances, I will have to change our IT Enterprise Resources to use the Enterprise 7 day 8 Hour Calendar, rather than the Enterprise Standard Calendar (as resource calendars over-ride project calendars).

I don't like either of these options, but I don't see a third choice.  Surely we are not unique in having this issue.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:02 PM

Answers

• No,you misunderstood (I think).  The project calendar is set to the use the standard calendar (Mon-Friday).  Specific tasks use the 7 day calendar (task information, advanced options) and are set with a SNET day of Saturday or Sunday. Other linked tasks will observe the standard calendar.   No restraining of the other tasks required. 

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    • Marked as answer by TheGoodGeek Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:49 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:26 PM
  • After testing, yes that works as long as the Enterprise Resource assigned to work the Sunday task has their Enterprise Calendar set to an Enterprise Calendar that includes Sunday as a work day. If they only have the Enterprise Standard 5 day calendar, then although the Task Calendar is set to Sunday, that resource has 0 hours available on that day, and so it then forces all the actual task duration to Monday and completes then. (And you can only set "Must Start On" or "Must finish On", but not both for a Task.) Thanks! I learned something. However, I still want the ability to set project-specific exceptions to Enterprise Calendars from the development team. That it is so much more logical.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:47 PM
  • If you look within the task information | advanced, you'll find a checkbox called Scheduling ignores resource calendars - this option has been there since at least Project 2002 - you have the all the options to configure the scheduling as you wish.

All replies

• You can normally get away with just two calendars in Project Server, one that conforms to a standard 5 day working week, and another, which has all the days a working at your normal 7.5 or 8 hours per day.  For the tasks that require to be worked on on a Sunday, then set this task to the 7 day calendar. 

I use this set up as the standard approach for all professional firms that I deploy project server to.  Simples :)

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Simple is so deceptive. Doesn't it get painful having to manually restrain tasks to start on the next Monday on the non-working weekends of the project? Project standalone handles this just fine by allowing you to set project-specific exceptions to the standard calendar. I wish the Project Server development team would add this capability to Project Server Enterprise calendars.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:17 PM
  • No,you misunderstood (I think).  The project calendar is set to the use the standard calendar (Mon-Friday).  Specific tasks use the 7 day calendar (task information, advanced options) and are set with a SNET day of Saturday or Sunday. Other linked tasks will observe the standard calendar.   No restraining of the other tasks required. 

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Ahah! So task calendars over-ride project and resource calendars in Project Server 2007?
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:29 PM
  • After testing, yes that works as long as the Enterprise Resource assigned to work the Sunday task has their Enterprise Calendar set to an Enterprise Calendar that includes Sunday as a work day. If they only have the Enterprise Standard 5 day calendar, then although the Task Calendar is set to Sunday, that resource has 0 hours available on that day, and so it then forces all the actual task duration to Monday and completes then. (And you can only set "Must Start On" or "Must finish On", but not both for a Task.) Thanks! I learned something. However, I still want the ability to set project-specific exceptions to Enterprise Calendars from the development team. That it is so much more logical.
  • If you look within the task information | advanced, you'll find a checkbox called Scheduling ignores resource calendars - this option has been there since at least Project 2002 - you have the all the options to configure the scheduling as you wish.