none
DPM 2010 - Client Protection - Best Practices and Suggesstions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm very new to DPM. I've been going through all the study and training materials on DPM 2010 for past one month.

I've assigned a task to design and implement DPM 2010 PC backup/restore solution for workstations and laptops.

Environment:

• 7000+ workstation and laptops with Windows 7 OS
    • 4000+ users in UK and other 3000+ Clients are spread across 246 remote locations across the globe
    • All sites are connected through a WAN link to the central data center in UK
    • My client needs to back up all the clients data to the central data center in UK
    • Approximate client data size is 2-4 GB per client
    • The clients will be allowed to restore their own data

As a single DPM server can support upto 3000 clients i'm planning to deploy 3-4 DPM server and 2 DR servers. As the client does not have any specific requirements other than the above I need to give suggestions based on the Microsoft's best practices, Like Synchronization Frequency, Retention, Number of recovery points etc

Questions:

1. What is the number of DPM servers recommended?
    2. Where to locate each DPM server? Is this centralized data center option is feasible?
    3. What are the recommended things to backup on client (ex. Like Documents, Desktop etc)
    4. What is the preferable backup method Disk-Based protection or Tape-Based Protection?
    5. Somewhere I learned that for most enterprise deployments, the recommended protection method is to use disk-to-disk-to-tape (D2D2T) - Whats is that and How to implement that?
    6. How to create initial replica for remote users?
    7. What is the recommendation for number of DPM servers? Physical or Virtual? Pros and Cons:
    8. Microsoft recommends a minimum network bandwidth of 256 Kilobits per second (Kbps) for computers that are continuously connected to the network. - Then how to calculate network bandwidth for both well connected and remote users. I'm unable to find any documents related to the network bandwidth calculation for the clients

So, could you please guide me to where the start and the best practices for client protection and DPM server's (like DR servers etc)

If you have any sample design documents for DPM 2010 client protection that would be greatly helpful for me in proceeding further.

Thanks in advance for all your helpful contributions...

Regards,
    Rafic

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote.
    If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:34 AM

Answers

• Iamrafic,

This sounds like an exciting project to be on. Let me know if you need some assistance on this project. I will try my best to give you some good feedback below.

Questions:

3 DPM servers is a good number and 2 for DR. I think this will cover your needs. If one of the main 3 DPM servers were to go down one of the 2 DR’s could take over protection long enough for you to recover the original DPM server that died. Be sure to put a good plan in place to protect your primary DPM servers.

1. Where to locate each DPM server? Is this centralized data center option is feasible?

This really depends on your network and the size of the bandwidth pipes you have. It can be centralized if you want it to being that you have WAN links to the data center from each location. Just make sure your bandwidth can handle it. Also It may make more sense to have them located in data centers close to your clients if you can, being your clients span many countries.

You will want to look into Direct Access. This will be a good option for your remote clients to be always connected to your network. It will alleviate a lot of problems for you. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/dd420463

1. What are the recommended things to backup on client (ex. Like Documents, Desktop etc)

This really depends on the needs of your environment. In my environment we protect the Desktop, Documents, and IE Favorites. All other critical data resides on servers.

1. What is the preferable backup method Disk-Based protection or Tape-Based Protection?

Disk based protection would be the preferred method. It will give you faster restores, I have found it to be less problematic, and storage is an affordable alternative.

1. Somewhere I learned that for most enterprise deployments, the recommended protection method is to use disk-to-disk-to-tape (D2D2T) - Whats is that and How to implement that?

This is basically when you backup your data to disk first and then backup the backups to tape. You then move the tapes offsite. This is a good option for offsite protection. It gives you both the benefit of quick restores from disk and protection of having your data offsite on tapes. To set this up:

Make sure your storage pools and tapes are already setup on your DPM server.  

·         Create your Protection Group

·         Click next

·         When you are on "Select Data Protection Method", check the "I want short-term protection using:" check box and in drop down list select "disk", also check the "I want long-term protection using:" check box and in drop down list select "tape"

1. How to create initial replica for remote users?

You will need to install the client first and then they will need to be connected to DPM via VPN or Direct Access long enough for this to be created.

1. What is the recommendation for number of DPM servers? Physical or Virtual? Pros and Cons:

The number of DPM servers stated above should be sufficient. Because you are focusing on client protection Physical or Virtual benefits will be about the same. If you had DPM 2010 and were protecting Hyper-V servers with the potential need to reach inside the VM’s then you would need to do Physical. That would be the only reason not to go with Virtual. With DPM 2012 that will no longer be an issue.

1. Microsoft recommends a minimum network bandwidth of 256 Kilobits per second (Kbps) for computers that are continuously connected to the network. - Then how to calculate network bandwidth for both well connected and remote users. I'm unable to find any documents related to the network bandwidth calculation for the clients.

Your well connected (LAN) clients should be ok with 256 Kbps. Unfortunately there is not a lot of documentation in regards to this. Maybe someone from MS can chime in on this question. I found this link stating “there is a minimum network bandwidth requirement of 512 Kbps.” For client protection over a WAN. http://www.microsoft-questions.com/microsoft/Data-Protection-Manager/34850969/backup-over-wan.aspx

Again this is a nice enterprise DPM project. Ping me offline via email if you want more assistance. You can contact me through my blog.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:31 AM

All replies

• Iamrafic,

This sounds like an exciting project to be on. Let me know if you need some assistance on this project. I will try my best to give you some good feedback below.

Questions:

3 DPM servers is a good number and 2 for DR. I think this will cover your needs. If one of the main 3 DPM servers were to go down one of the 2 DR’s could take over protection long enough for you to recover the original DPM server that died. Be sure to put a good plan in place to protect your primary DPM servers.

1. Where to locate each DPM server? Is this centralized data center option is feasible?

This really depends on your network and the size of the bandwidth pipes you have. It can be centralized if you want it to being that you have WAN links to the data center from each location. Just make sure your bandwidth can handle it. Also It may make more sense to have them located in data centers close to your clients if you can, being your clients span many countries.

You will want to look into Direct Access. This will be a good option for your remote clients to be always connected to your network. It will alleviate a lot of problems for you. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/dd420463

1. What are the recommended things to backup on client (ex. Like Documents, Desktop etc)

This really depends on the needs of your environment. In my environment we protect the Desktop, Documents, and IE Favorites. All other critical data resides on servers.

1. What is the preferable backup method Disk-Based protection or Tape-Based Protection?

Disk based protection would be the preferred method. It will give you faster restores, I have found it to be less problematic, and storage is an affordable alternative.

1. Somewhere I learned that for most enterprise deployments, the recommended protection method is to use disk-to-disk-to-tape (D2D2T) - Whats is that and How to implement that?

This is basically when you backup your data to disk first and then backup the backups to tape. You then move the tapes offsite. This is a good option for offsite protection. It gives you both the benefit of quick restores from disk and protection of having your data offsite on tapes. To set this up:

Make sure your storage pools and tapes are already setup on your DPM server.  

·         Create your Protection Group

·         Click next

·         When you are on "Select Data Protection Method", check the "I want short-term protection using:" check box and in drop down list select "disk", also check the "I want long-term protection using:" check box and in drop down list select "tape"

1. How to create initial replica for remote users?

You will need to install the client first and then they will need to be connected to DPM via VPN or Direct Access long enough for this to be created.

1. What is the recommendation for number of DPM servers? Physical or Virtual? Pros and Cons:

The number of DPM servers stated above should be sufficient. Because you are focusing on client protection Physical or Virtual benefits will be about the same. If you had DPM 2010 and were protecting Hyper-V servers with the potential need to reach inside the VM’s then you would need to do Physical. That would be the only reason not to go with Virtual. With DPM 2012 that will no longer be an issue.

1. Microsoft recommends a minimum network bandwidth of 256 Kilobits per second (Kbps) for computers that are continuously connected to the network. - Then how to calculate network bandwidth for both well connected and remote users. I'm unable to find any documents related to the network bandwidth calculation for the clients.

Your well connected (LAN) clients should be ok with 256 Kbps. Unfortunately there is not a lot of documentation in regards to this. Maybe someone from MS can chime in on this question. I found this link stating “there is a minimum network bandwidth requirement of 512 Kbps.” For client protection over a WAN. http://www.microsoft-questions.com/microsoft/Data-Protection-Manager/34850969/backup-over-wan.aspx

Again this is a nice enterprise DPM project. Ping me offline via email if you want more assistance. You can contact me through my blog.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Hi Buchatech,

Thanks a lot for you valuable advice. It will really help me in designing the new DPM environment.

Can i add you on my skype? or you prefer mailing?

Regards,
    Rafic

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Hi Buchatech,

Thanks a lot for you valuable advice. It will really help me in designing the new DPM environment.

Can i add you on my skype? or you prefer mailing?

Regards,
    Rafic

Hi Iamrafic,

Email would be good for now.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:02 PM