SMTP TLS partial? RRS feed

• Question

• We secured our outbound email with TLS, and forcing it mandatory on certain domain.

Now our partner is asking whether by enforcing SMTP TLS, whether the whole email is encrypted with TLS during the transport or just the message body?

She is asking this because when analyzed on email header, the subject of the email is displayed in clear text. It just makes no sense to me that email transport has the preference of choosing whether to strip down certain parameter to be displayed in clear; while the other is encrypted.

I always thought that with TLS on the transport, the mail transfer server will start sending the whole message (including subject, body, and attachment of the said email) via TLS.

Forgive me as I've found no article on this. Hopefully it's a general question that can be asked here.

Thank you in advance for any help to clarify this issue to me :)

---Pat

Thursday, May 11, 2017 4:13 PM

Answers

• You mean the whole email would be encrypted?

---Pat

The whole SMTP conversation would be, not the email. There's a difference.
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 11:32 AM
  • When you use TLS encryption, the SMTP session from your mail server to the next hop is encrypted. The concept of encrypting the actual E-mail itself would be called as S/MIME. To answer your question, the E-mail would be sent after the TLS session has been established.
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 9:13 PM

All replies

• When you use TLS encryption, the SMTP session from your mail server to the next hop is encrypted. The concept of encrypting the actual E-mail itself would be called as S/MIME. To answer your question, the E-mail would be sent after the TLS session has been established.
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 9:13 PM

---Pat

Saturday, May 13, 2017 10:58 AM

---Pat

The whole SMTP conversation would be, not the email. There's a difference.
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 11:32 AM
  • Hi Pat,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding,

Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:09 AM