none
Change desktop after steadystate installed RRS feed

• Question

• 1. Can't I use user name "Guest" on Steadystate?
      When I make a new user name "guest", a warning "already existing" is displayed.
      I want to use "guest" user on Steadystate and edit the profile.
    2. How can I change the limited user's desktop or add new icon to limited user's desktop after Steadystate is installed?
    3. Can I use Steadystate with Norton Goback ?
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:13 AM

Answers

•  

Hi gokuraku, thanks for the post. I'd like to answer your questions below:

1.       We cannot use Guest account on Windows SteadyState. I'd like to inform you that it is by design that Guest and Administrator account cannot be recognized by SteadyState due to potential security and usability issue. 

2.       Do you mean the wallpaper you set will revert to no wallpaper? If this is the case, you can try to set wallpaper using .bmp instead of .jpg. Icon can be set in SteadyState User Settings.

3.       We have not yet fully tested Norton GoBack with Windows SteadyState. Personally, I do not recommend to use them together as the function may conflict with WDP in SteadyState.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:18 AM
  •  

Thanks for the update. It seems that you want to duplicate user profile including shortcuts on the desktop, right? You can try the following steps to create a custom Default User profile:

To create a custom Default User profile

1.    Log on as the Windows SteadyState administrator.

2.    Create a new local user profile.

3.    Log off and then log on as the local user that you just created.

4.    Customize the user settings and environment. For example, you could:

§  Customize the Start menu.

§  Customize the desktop and taskbar.

§  Install and configure printers.

5.    Log off and then log on as the Windows SteadyState administrator.

6.    Configure and apply restrictions for the newly created user profile.

7.    Click Start, and then click My Computer.

8.    Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.

9.    In the Folder Options dialog box, on the View tab, under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK. Several of the files in the new profile are hidden by default and must be visible to be copied to the new custom Default User profile.

10. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

11. In the System Properties dialog box, on the Advanced tab, under User Profiles, click Settings.

12. In the User Profiles dialog box, click the user profile that you just created and customized, and then click Copy To.

13. In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, click Browse, click the \Documents and Settings\Default User folder, and then click OK.

14. Under Permitted to use, click Change, click Everyone, and then click OK. If Everyone is not available, click Advanced, click Find Now, click Everyone, and then click OK.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:19 AM

All replies

•  

Hi gokuraku, thanks for the post. I'd like to answer your questions below:

1.       We cannot use Guest account on Windows SteadyState. I'd like to inform you that it is by design that Guest and Administrator account cannot be recognized by SteadyState due to potential security and usability issue. 

2.       Do you mean the wallpaper you set will revert to no wallpaper? If this is the case, you can try to set wallpaper using .bmp instead of .jpg. Icon can be set in SteadyState User Settings.

3.       We have not yet fully tested Norton GoBack with Windows SteadyState. Personally, I do not recommend to use them together as the function may conflict with WDP in SteadyState.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:18 AM
  •  Hi Sean, thank you for your prompt answer.

I got No.1 & 3 Qs.
    No.2 Q seems my less description.
    I add following comments.
    2. Before installing the Steady State(SS), a Guest user on target PC already configured. (So, some icons have been added on it's desktop.)
      After installing SS, I made new user as guest01 on SS.
      When I logged in to guest01, there were only 3 icons on the guest01 desktop.
      I want to take over the icons from Guest user to new guest01's desktop.
      Or I want to add new lasting icons on the guest01 desktop.
    Could you tell me the right way?

Thanks again

Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:22 AM
  •  

Thanks for the update. It seems that you want to duplicate user profile including shortcuts on the desktop, right? You can try the following steps to create a custom Default User profile:

To create a custom Default User profile

1.    Log on as the Windows SteadyState administrator.

2.    Create a new local user profile.

3.    Log off and then log on as the local user that you just created.

4.    Customize the user settings and environment. For example, you could:

§  Customize the Start menu.

§  Customize the desktop and taskbar.

§  Install and configure printers.

5.    Log off and then log on as the Windows SteadyState administrator.

6.    Configure and apply restrictions for the newly created user profile.

7.    Click Start, and then click My Computer.

8.    Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.

9.    In the Folder Options dialog box, on the View tab, under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK. Several of the files in the new profile are hidden by default and must be visible to be copied to the new custom Default User profile.

10. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

11. In the System Properties dialog box, on the Advanced tab, under User Profiles, click Settings.

12. In the User Profiles dialog box, click the user profile that you just created and customized, and then click Copy To.

13. In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, click Browse, click the \Documents and Settings\Default User folder, and then click OK.

14. Under Permitted to use, click Change, click Everyone, and then click OK. If Everyone is not available, click Advanced, click Find Now, click Everyone, and then click OK.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:19 AM
  • Hi Sean,
    Thank you.

Finally It succeeded according to you instruction.
    It seems the GoBack on my PC wasn't fully uninstalled.

Your detailed indication was very helpful.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 1:11 AM
  • In the same thought as #2 Question above, is there a way to quickly disable SteadyState from the administrator account, make some changes in the guest account, and then re-enable the restrictions on SteadyState without having to click through all the settings once again?  Right now, if I wanted to change icons on the desktop, change default settings on a program, I have to undo all the SteadyState settings, change the account back to an administrator account before making changes, then reverse everything and reset all the settings in SteadyState.  I'm hoping for a more time saving way to make changes on a number of computers.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 11:57 PM