Trouble installing Vista Ultimate, 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I bought retail upgrade discs with Vista 32-bit and 64-bit of Ultimate a while back.  Lately my computer has been having some trouble so I wanted to do a clean install but with 64bit and some extra ram. 

Upon booting up from the DVD, I get the message "Windows files are loading..." and the bar goes across as they load.  Once loaded nothing happens though, the screen just stays blank.  Nothing happens even if I leave it for a while (20+ minutes).  The 32-bit disc goes right to the install screen with the Vista backdrop & asking about language, etc.

Is there something wrong with the install disc, or something I need to be aware of?

Build as follows:

MBD: M2N32-SLI Deluxe

CPU: Phenom 9850

RAM: 2x2GB Corsair DDR 800 + 2x1GB Corsair DDR 800

GPU: 8800 GTS 640

HDD: 120GB Western Digital, SATA

SND: Creative X-Fi Music

Saturday, November 22, 2008 7:07 PM

Answers

• Thoughts:
    First, Vista x64 (RTM) had, well, issues installing on a system (notably nVidia chipsets) with greater than 2GB RAM installed.
    The problem was corrected in a patch that was later rolled into SP1; however, if your install disc does not have SP1 on it, that doesn't help.
    The quick solution is to pull some RAM (get it down to 2GB), install Windows, update the system to SP1, and then install the rest of the RAM.
    Second:  make sure that you have the latest BIOS applied to the board.
    Third:  some boards have issues with autosetting the RAM with 4GB or more installed, and/or all four slots populated.  Solution:  manually configure the RAM voltage and timings as per the RAM vendor's docs, and re-try the installation.

HTH,

Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:39 AM

All replies

• You may want to load 64-bit drivers for your video card.

Just a guess here.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:07 AM
  • Thoughts:
    First, Vista x64 (RTM) had, well, issues installing on a system (notably nVidia chipsets) with greater than 2GB RAM installed.
    The problem was corrected in a patch that was later rolled into SP1; however, if your install disc does not have SP1 on it, that doesn't help.
    The quick solution is to pull some RAM (get it down to 2GB), install Windows, update the system to SP1, and then install the rest of the RAM.
    Second:  make sure that you have the latest BIOS applied to the board.
    Third:  some boards have issues with autosetting the RAM with 4GB or more installed, and/or all four slots populated.  Solution:  manually configure the RAM voltage and timings as per the RAM vendor's docs, and re-try the installation.

HTH,

Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:39 AM
  • Problem still occurs having removed everything from the system besides the CPU, a stick of ram, & GPU. I even used an older PS/2 keyboard, had the internet disconnected, no sound card, etc.  Also tried moving the single stick of ram to different slots, and tried different sticks (1GB or 2GB), with latest BIOS and manually set ram timings.  Is it possible my disc is too old and it is unable to run with the Phenom installed?

The 32bit DVD gets to the install screen, 64bit still just a blank screen (the monitor is getting a signal, just a blank one)

And this is a disc from about June of 2007.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Sounds like a bad DVD, try to get a new one. I've got my share of issues - several weeks now trying to get Vista Ultimate 64-bit to install properly. Now I too have to get a new DVD. Crapola.

Monday, November 24, 2008 12:12 AM
  • Is it possible my disc is too old and it is unable to run with the Phenom installed?
    It's possible.  A worthwhile try would be to build a Vista (x64) SP1 disc, using vLite.

Point to make:  when you burn the new image, set your burner software to run the burn at the lowest possible speed.

Monday, November 24, 2008 3:57 AM
  • Watch out that if you do get V64 to go for you that your Creative X-Fi 64-bit drivers are able to be installed. I'm having an issue now that the Creative driver installer thinks I have a previous driver-install reboot required even though I rebooted 2x in a row.

You'll get there when you get there.

Monday, November 24, 2008 6:19 AM