none
Songs are not showing up in my Windows Media Player Library

Question

• So the title says much of it, but I have music that I downloaded through the Itunes store that is not showing up for some reason in my WMP library. In fact, the vast majority of my songs do not show up in the library. I did not rip any of the songs, seeing as I don't even know what ripping is or how to do it. I use Windows Media Player more extensively than Itunes, so it is really frustrating to not have most of my music useable. 
    Tuesday, July 03, 2012 6:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, .m4p files are also not supported by Windows Media Player.

However, if you would like to play these music in Windows Media Player, you may use certain applications to convert the files to .mp3 and check if it works.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 06, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Well I just checked, and there are several files that end in .m4a that are working just fine in Windows Media Player. m4p is doesn't seem to be working however

.m4p files are protected by DRM and can only be played in iTunes. If you really want to play these songs in WMP then you will have to re-download the DRM-free version of the songs from the iTunes store.

Do all your .m4a files show up in WMP's library now or do you still need help with those?

Jeremy: FYI, WMP on Windows 7 has in fact support for .m4a files.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Friday, July 06, 2012 3:33 PM

All replies

• Here's some more detail, although I don't know exactly if it matters or not. I recently bought and had my friend build this computer, and I downloaded Itunes and linked it to the account on the old computer. I then shared the songs I wanted to have onto this computer and they downloaded. Like I said, I don't know if any of that matters but I figured I don't want to hold anything back. In the Itunes Library the songs come up normal, so I don't know why WMP isn't reading the songs properly.
    Tuesday, July 03, 2012 6:23 AM
  • What's the file type of these songs (MP3, WMA, WAV...)?

Where are the songs located on your hard drive? In WMP's library, please click Organize - Manage libraries - Music, and make sure that this location is listed as a library location or is a subfolder of a listed library location.

Tim De Baets

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 7:38 PM
  • I'm sorry about the confusion, I know next to nothing about dealing with files and these things which is probably why I'm having this issue in the first place. I just realized I can get Itunes to show me what kind of file each song is. The vast majority of the files that aren't transferring over are "Protected ACC" or just "ACC audio files". Now there are "Purchased ACC" files that are for the most part being transferred over to WMP, though not all of them. All the MPEG files that I can see are showing up in WMP properly. Again sorry if this isn't helpful, I'm trying to figure this out as I go.
    Wednesday, July 04, 2012 1:00 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, if the extensions of the music are m4a, Windows Media Player cannot play them.

More information:

Information about the Multimedia file types that Windows Media Player supports

Cannot Play "m4a" Songs on Windows Media Player or Movie Maker, Songs Purchased & Downloaded from iTunes

WMP Does NOT recognize m4a As Music

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Well I just checked, and there are several files that end in .m4a that are working just fine in Windows Media Player. m4p is doesn't seem to be working however
    Wednesday, July 04, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, .m4p files are also not supported by Windows Media Player.

However, if you would like to play these music in Windows Media Player, you may use certain applications to convert the files to .mp3 and check if it works.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Friday, July 06, 2012 8:17 AM

.m4p files are protected by DRM and can only be played in iTunes. If you really want to play these songs in WMP then you will have to re-download the DRM-free version of the songs from the iTunes store.

Do all your .m4a files show up in WMP's library now or do you still need help with those?

Jeremy: FYI, WMP on Windows 7 has in fact support for .m4a files.

Tim De Baets

Friday, July 06, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Songs purchased through iTunes are designated as AAC purchased material with a M4a extension. They appear in the Windows media library, but under the folder "other media". It does not matter what you do to the song file it will not let you move it, I've tried. With that said, there is a fix if you have a media program like Roxio media creator 10. There is an option in that program under audio for a batch convert. It allows songs in your i tunes library to be converted to mp3, WMA, WAV etc. You can even use it to edit the song information. Once converted it will appear in the Media player library. You can then get the album info like cover art if desired no problem. I use Roxio but I'm sure that there are others like it that may do the same thing. Good luck.
    Monday, April 28, 2014 7:05 PM
  • GC Jersey: I assume that the "purchased AAC" files aren't DRM-protected, otherwise Roxio wouldn't be able to convert them either?

Note that converting an audio file to a different format means that there will be inevitable loss of quality.

Tim De Baets

Thursday, May 01, 2014 2:38 PM