none
Install MSI using Group Policy Management

Question

• Hi Friends

I'm trying to install my Outlook Plugin MSI using Group policy management. But Its not working for me. I get help from this URL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXAz6vrWMP0

Is there anything additional I need to do to work this? In my client machine or server....?

Thanks

Bobbin

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Bobbin,

Please check permissions on folder and let us know the results...

Thank you!

Alan Martins

Monday, January 05, 2015 6:39 PM
  • This is expected behavior

Registry keys can be removed to change this

http://www.sysadminlab.net/windows/force-reinstall-software-assigned-via-gpo-when-it-was-manually-uninstalled

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 12:16 PM
  • Hi Bobbin,

It will depend on how you deploy the software: published or assigned. Table bellow ilustrates better how each one works:

Table 3 Publish and Assign compared

Scenario

Publish to Users

Assign to Users

Assign to Computers

After the administrator deploys the software, it is available for installation after:

The next logon. (If an application is deployed in a GPO that is already applied to the user from a previous logon, that application is available for installation in that logon session.)

The next logon.

The next time the computer starts (reboot).

Typically, users install the software from:

The Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Start menu shortcut.
    Desktop shortcut.
    Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

The software is already installed.

If the software is not installed and the user opens a file associated with the software, will the application install?

Yes.

Yes.

Can the users remove the software using the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel?

Yes. Users can choose to reinstall the software from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Yes. The software will be available again immediately for installation from the desktop.

No. Only the local administrator can remove the software. A user can run a repair on the software.

Supported installation file types:

Windows Installer packages (.msi files), and ZAP files.

Windows Installer packages (.msi files)

More information can be found on: 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742420.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778924(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope it can help you!

Alan Martins

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 1:44 PM
  • if assigned and non admins this shouldnt happen

• Edited by AlexAdkin Tuesday, January 06, 2015 3:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bobbin Paulose Friday, January 09, 2015 4:11 PM
    Tuesday, January 06, 2015 3:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Bobbin,

Before going further, would you please let me know edition information of the server where configure the group policy? Meanwhile, would you please let me know whether run gpupdate /force command when complete those group policy configurations?

On current situation, please open Event Viewer and check if find some relevant events. Meanwhile, please refer to enable verbose logging of Application Deployment operations and check that Appmgmt.log if find more clues.

Troubleshooting Program Deployment By Using Verbose Logging

By the way, please also refer to following KB and check if can help you.

How to use Group Policy to remotely install software in Windows Server 2008 and in Windows Server 2003

If any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 11:04 AM
  • Hi Justin

Below i will explain what i done. Before that i will answer your questions.

1. My server is Windows server 2012 Standard and my client machine is windows 8

2. I didn't run this comment "gpupdate /force". I need to run this from server machine or client ?

3. I didn't find anything relevant in Event Viewer.

Steps that I done to enable group policy management

Step #1

Installed DNS and ADDS in Windows server 2012 machine. And Promote the server to a Domain Controler

Step #2

Added Installation MSI package under GPO with the help of this tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXAz6vrWMP0)

Step #3

Add my client machine (Windows 8) to Active Directory domain. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hr0evvXuys) But here I have a problem that I cant login this computer with the user of domain controller.

Thanks in advance

Bobbin

Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:01 PM

• Add my client machine (Windows 8) to Active Directory domain. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hr0evvXuys) But here I have a problem that I cant login this computer with the user of domain controller.

Thanks in advance

Bobbin

so you can't login with a domain account username? what happens, this isn't group policy related I'm sure
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:17 PM

• Hi

Actually I Added my client computer name DC1 (Windows 8) under a OU called "Sugar". And also created a user called "bob". I tried to login with bob@<mydomainname>.com from my client machine. But it showing this error "The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship."

Thanks

Bobbin
    Friday, December 19, 2014 12:36 PM
  • > y I Added my client computer

Did you "join" the client (which MUST be done on the client itself) or
    did you simply create a computer account in AD???

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Friday, December 19, 2014 12:52 PM
  • That's what I was gettin at :) let's start a tally on this. lol
    Friday, December 19, 2014 12:55 PM
  • Hi

Yes I "join" my client computer to domain. Please see the screen shot

Friday, December 19, 2014 1:56 PM
  • > Yes I "join" my client computer to domain. Please see the screen shot

Then unjoin it and join it again. The secure channel password for the
    computer account is broken... Eventlog on the client might tell you more.

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Friday, December 19, 2014 2:41 PM
  • Hi

Yes I "join" my client computer to domain. Please see the screen shot

Saturday, December 20, 2014 9:47 AM
  • Hi Bobbin,

Sorry for my delay.

Based on your detailed descriptions, this issue will be not related to group policy as Zanderol24 mentioned. Meanwhile, did you follow Martin's suggestion to un-join and re-join the problematic client computer in domain again? Any find?

-->But it showing this error "The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship."

Please refer to following article and check if can help you.

Error: The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 29, 2014 8:08 AM
  • Hi Justin

Now I'm able to login with the user and password added in active directory. But the software added in Group policy management not publishing to the client machine. Is there anything additional i need to do for this?

I use the below link for GPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zadvca6LlzA

Thank

Bobbin

Monday, January 05, 2015 12:23 PM
  • Hi Bobbin,

To help you further, it would be interesting that you post any related event or error... based on mostly common problems with software deploy via GPO, you can check:

• logged with user, you can access the path where .msi file is located?
    • check if machine has permission "read" and "execute" on folder where .msi file is located (machine itself, not the user, as this GPO applies to machines)
    • Copying .msi file to workstation and manually installing it, is there any error?
    • Could you try with another .msi file? Are there several .msi files that has problems to be installed via GPO

Hope it can help you!

Alan Martins

Monday, January 05, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Hi Alan Martins

You are correct. I don't have the permission to that particular folder, when i login with username and password added in active directory. But I have the permission for other folders in that same computer. When i try to open that particular folder I'm getting the below error

You do not have permission to access <server path>. Contact your network administrator to request access.

For more information about permissions, see Windows Help and Support

Thanks

Bobbin

Monday, January 05, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Hi Bobbin,

Please check permissions on folder and let us know the results...

Thank you!

Alan Martins

Monday, January 05, 2015 6:39 PM
  • Hi Alan

I just added the "Users(Sugar\users)" in the security tab under "Group or user names" Now I can access that path from my client machine. Let me try if the group policy management will work now

Thanks

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 7:18 AM
  • Hi Alan

The software's are published successfully. But after i uninstall the published software and restart the machine, the software's not again installing automatically.  

Is there any provision to show a message at the time of uninstall the software and restart the machine install the software again.

Thanks

Bobbin

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 12:09 PM
  • This is expected behavior

Registry keys can be removed to change this

http://www.sysadminlab.net/windows/force-reinstall-software-assigned-via-gpo-when-it-was-manually-uninstalled

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 12:16 PM
  • Hi

Can I restrict the user to uninstall the software's, that are installed through GPM?

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 12:35 PM
  • Hi Bobbin,

It will depend on how you deploy the software: published or assigned. Table bellow ilustrates better how each one works:

Table 3 Publish and Assign compared

Scenario

Publish to Users

Assign to Users

Assign to Computers

After the administrator deploys the software, it is available for installation after:

The next logon. (If an application is deployed in a GPO that is already applied to the user from a previous logon, that application is available for installation in that logon session.)

The next logon.

The next time the computer starts (reboot).

Typically, users install the software from:

The Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Start menu shortcut.
    Desktop shortcut.
    Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

If the software is not installed and the user opens a file associated with the software, will the application install?

Yes.

Yes.

Can the users remove the software using the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel?

Yes. Users can choose to reinstall the software from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Yes. The software will be available again immediately for installation from the desktop.

No. Only the local administrator can remove the software. A user can run a repair on the software.

Supported installation file types:

Windows Installer packages (.msi files), and ZAP files.

More information can be found on: 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742420.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778924(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope it can help you!

Alan Martins

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 1:44 PM
  • if assigned and non admins this shouldnt happen

• Edited by AlexAdkin Tuesday, January 06, 2015 3:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bobbin Paulose Friday, January 09, 2015 4:11 PM
    Tuesday, January 06, 2015 3:37 PM