none
Global calendars question... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Is there a recommended number of global calendars that can be used in POL?  We have lots of countries and not sure how many to roll out as I've been told it can affect performance.

Many thanks

James

Andrew Binnz

Monday, December 12, 2016 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hi James,

Well according to https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Project-Online-software-boundaries-and-limits-5a09dbce-1e68-4a7b-b099-d5f1b21ba489 it will take some more time, but Microsoft haven't put an actual number against it.  From my own perspective, 10 or so calendars, as I said, did not make a noticeable difference (though it was Project Server 2010, so a different beast!)

It takes more time to calculate multiple calendars

When a project, task, or resource has its own custom calendar, Project Online takes a little longer to calculate the dates for the work going on in your organization. Consider whether it makes sense to make some of the calendar changes on a broader scale, across your entire organization.

• Marked as answer by JamesP435 Tuesday, December 13, 2016 11:08 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

Do you have a reference to the performance degradation?  I've certainly had 10-20 calendars in a Project Server environment and didn't see any performance issues.  

Monday, December 12, 2016 10:09 PM
  • Hi Ben

The reason for asking the question was that I remember reading somewhere that Global calendars take up a lot of overhead and should be kept to a minimum.  But I can't seem to find any information for guidance around this with POL.  From what you are saying, having 10 won't affect the system?

BTW - are you in London next week?

Cheers

James

• Edited by JamesP435 Tuesday, December 13, 2016 5:47 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Hi James,

Well according to https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Project-Online-software-boundaries-and-limits-5a09dbce-1e68-4a7b-b099-d5f1b21ba489 it will take some more time, but Microsoft haven't put an actual number against it.  From my own perspective, 10 or so calendars, as I said, did not make a noticeable difference (though it was Project Server 2010, so a different beast!)

It takes more time to calculate multiple calendars

When a project, task, or resource has its own custom calendar, Project Online takes a little longer to calculate the dates for the work going on in your organization. Consider whether it makes sense to make some of the calendar changes on a broader scale, across your entire organization.

• Marked as answer by JamesP435 Tuesday, December 13, 2016 11:08 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:32 AM
  • OK.  Thanks for the update Ben

James

• Edited by JamesP435 Tuesday, December 13, 2016 11:08 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 11:08 AM