none
Critical Path - Weird colour split RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Project 2007 (standard) on a computer with Windows XP (I am a relatively new Project user). In the process of adding summary and sub tasks and developing my gantt chart and network disgram something weird has happened to my critical path in the network diagram. I believe what I should see for a critical path is red linking lines joining red coloured task boxes (my non-critical is blue). However what I now have is red lines leading to and joining through some blue task boxes, and some red task boxes being linked with blue lines?? Can't understand why this "spilt" of critical path (red) boxes and lines has occured?
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just to make me check in depth... can you send me the file jandemesATprom-ade.be ?

If you mind confidentiality you can change all task names into T or any.

Greetings,

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:54 PM

All replies

• Try running the Critical Path Wizard once again and check if this resolves your issue, if not then let us know; we can dig it further.
    Sapna S
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:21 PM
  • This might be because the color of the link line is based on if the Predecessor task is critical, NOT if the successor task is critical.

So you could very well have tasks that are red with red link lines coming OUT of them and going to blue tasks and blue tasks with blue links coming out and going into red tasks.

In my experience the Gantt Chart wizard will just make all the link lines black.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Hi,

I understand you are looking to what appears as an anomaly IN THE NETWORK DIAGRAM, (quote: "something weird has happened to my critical path in the network diagram") not in the Gantt Chart. Hence IMHO the Gantt Chart Wizard will not solve your problem.

Would you check Layout in the Format ribbon, link color for he options?I guess that will explain what you see.

Greetings,

Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Thanks Jan,

You are correct in summarizing the problem - it is within the "Network Diagram". However, your suggestion, as well as the others mentioned here (thank you Sapna and Brian for those), do not solve the problem i.e. I still have red task boxes that have red AND blue link lines coming out of them and leading to red AND blue task boxes, and I have blue task boxes that have blue AND red link lines coming out of them and leading to red AND blue task boxes. Therefore it is difficult to tell what the critical path for this project is.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you kindly!

Monday, August 8, 2011 8:43 PM
  • Hi Zvonk,

Why not just select the Critical filter in the network diagram?

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Hi,

Just to make me check in depth... can you send me the file jandemesATprom-ade.be ?

If you mind confidentiality you can change all task names into T or any.

Greetings,

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:54 PM