External Contacts and Distribution Lists RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I work in a school and have been asked to create several different distribution lists (surrounding school principals, superintendants ect) all containing external email contacts.  On top of that, it was requested that i set permissions so that only certain people within my facility can see and send to those external distribution lists and contacts.

I know how to create the external contacts in the EMC.  I know how to create and add people to the distribution list in the EMC.  I know about clicking "hide from Exchange address lists".  Can i set permissions on individual contacts and distribution lists for visibility and usage in the GAL?

This is Exchange 2007.

Thanks

Friday, December 7, 2012 3:38 PM

Answers

• For Exchange 2007, Open up the Exchange Management Console, go to Recipients and highlight Mail Contacts.  Add all of your Contacts there.   After creating the contacts, create your Distribution Groups and add the contacts to the relevant groups.  After that, you can make your restrictions.

Restricting who can send to Distribution Group:

• Properties  of the group
    • Mail Flow Settings Tab
    • Message Delivery Resrictions
         Add any users you want to "Only Senders in the following list"
    • To hide the group, check the "Hide Group from Exchange Address lists"

The exact same settings can be set on contacts as well. 

Just be mindful that unless you are an org admin, no one can make changes to the groups even if you manage the group.

You don't have to hide the group or contact as no one will be able to send it it. If you do hide them, then the user sending the email will have to know the name of the group and or contact they are emailing.

JAUCG - Please remeber to mark replies as helpful if they were or as answered if I provided a solution.

• Proposed as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by tew2281 Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:00 PM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 4:45 PM

All replies

• For Exchange 2007, Open up the Exchange Management Console, go to Recipients and highlight Mail Contacts.  Add all of your Contacts there.   After creating the contacts, create your Distribution Groups and add the contacts to the relevant groups.  After that, you can make your restrictions.

Restricting who can send to Distribution Group:

• Properties  of the group
    • Mail Flow Settings Tab
    • Message Delivery Resrictions
         Add any users you want to "Only Senders in the following list"
    • To hide the group, check the "Hide Group from Exchange Address lists"

The exact same settings can be set on contacts as well. 

Just be mindful that unless you are an org admin, no one can make changes to the groups even if you manage the group.

You don't have to hide the group or contact as no one will be able to send it it. If you do hide them, then the user sending the email will have to know the name of the group and or contact they are emailing.

JAUCG - Please remeber to mark replies as helpful if they were or as answered if I provided a solution.

• Proposed as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by tew2281 Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:00 PM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Hi tew2281,

Any updates?

Frank Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Thank you Frank.  I finally got around to doing this yesterday afternoon.  It serves its purpose for the time being.  I may have to research on how to create another GAL, add the external contacts and distribution lists i created, then assign permissions to that GAL to these select users.  I'm not keen on the idea that even though the rest of my users can't send to the list, they can see the list and expand it to see individual email addresses.  It defeats the purpose of hiding them if they can still expand and copy the email addresses.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:03 PM
  • It serves its purpose for the time being.  I may have to research on how to create another GAL,

Hi tew2281,

In Exchange 2007, it is not a easy way to do that, please check the following whitepaper:

White Paper: Configuring Virtual Organizations and Address List Segregation in Exchange 2007

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb936719(v=exchg.80).aspx

Suggest you update Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 sp2, then use the ABP:

Understanding Address Book Policies

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh529948(v=exchg.141).aspx

Frank Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:18 AM