Management Packs - Export multiple mp in test and import multiple into prod? RRS feed

• Question

• 2 Issues:

1>I am nearly ready to go live with SCSM and have to move all my custom MPs into my prod environment.  When I select multiple MPs and click export, only the first selection moves into my destination export folder.  Can I export and import multiple MPs? 

2>When attempting to import into the prod environment, I am only seeing xml files and not sealed MPs (even changing the file extension drop down) (for my extended class and form).  How do I get them sealed again in order for templates to be dependent on class and form?

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:28 PM

Answers

• Maybe this blog post is helpful to export all unsealed management packs: Export all unsealed management packs

Exporting sealed management packs will end with unsealed management packs in the file system. This unsealed management shouldn't be sealed and imported again. The best way is to import to "original" sealed management packs of the test environment in the prod environment.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

• Proposed as answer by Aaron Croasmun Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by CShaner Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:36 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:44 PM
  • You are right: The unsealed management packs are referencing to the sealed management packs. For that reason you need the original sealed management packs you imported in the test environment for import in the prod environment.

If you export the sealed management pack you get a unsealed mnagament pack. If you seal this again you get a different sealed management pack to the original sealed management pack. This can cause trouble or some additional work with editing the unsealed management packs.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:06 PM

All replies

• Maybe this blog post is helpful to export all unsealed management packs: Export all unsealed management packs

Exporting sealed management packs will end with unsealed management packs in the file system. This unsealed management shouldn't be sealed and imported again. The best way is to import to "original" sealed management packs of the test environment in the prod environment.

• Proposed as answer by Aaron Croasmun Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:52 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:44 PM
  • Thanks for that script - I actually have that backup setup on my SCSM server.  I'll see about getting them into the production environment.

As for not sealing the MPs, perhaps I have the wrong impression, but I thought that the templates I have created are dependent on sealed MPs so if that is true, I'll need my mps sealed for my extended class and extended form mps.  Am I mistaken that I can use templates based on an unsealed MP for extended form/extended class?

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:50 PM
  • You are right: The unsealed management packs are referencing to the sealed management packs. For that reason you need the original sealed management packs you imported in the test environment for import in the prod environment.

If you export the sealed management pack you get a unsealed mnagament pack. If you seal this again you get a different sealed management pack to the original sealed management pack. This can cause trouble or some additional work with editing the unsealed management packs.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Ok, got it.  Import the sealed MP I created in the Authoring tool into the prod environment.  There are only four so it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks again!  I've marked this as the answer.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Exactly. Sorry for not being clear enough in my first post.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:00 PM