none
LiteTouch has encountered and Environment Error (Boot into WinPE!)

Question

• After updating to update1 RTM and regenerating my deployment share, some task sequences that were previously successful prior to update1 rtm now throw up a dialog:

The task sequence has been suspended.

LiteTouch has encountered and Environment Error (Boot into WinPE!)

OK to Reboot

Nothing on the deployment share was changed after the update1. I’ve read the “environment error” post here and not really tripping across anything that’s helping me. Something in the winpe in update1 has changed things for me, but that same winpe is successful on some of my task seqs. Strange. Worth noting that when it throws the message on a specific machine the x86 and x64 both will throw it.

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:41 PM

Answers

• THere are two primarty scenarios where this can happen (although not limted to these).

When booting into a Litetouch WinPE image, we can encounter this error:

1. We are in the middle of a Litetouch OS installation, and the user booted back into WinPE, when the new OS should be running. User should remove the WinPE Boot media or adjust the boot order.

2. We start a Litetouch installation from scratch, *however* there was a previous Litetouch Task Sequence running, and was not properly cleaned up. In that case remove the c:\minint\ and/or c:\_SMSTaskSequence directory and reboot back into WinPE.

For MDT 2010 Update 1 we made some enhancments to this environment problem. Previous Versions of MDT would halt the Task Sequence and prevent it from continuing ( a little harsh ).

Make sure you are not within one of the following two cases above.

-k

Keith Garner (KeithGa.com) - Deployment Consultant - http://deployment.XtremeConsulting.com
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hi the solution is quite easy: It's not a server issue, but a client issue. Apparently there seems to be somethings wrong accessing the harddisk - so boot from standard Winodws PE and open diskpart, select disk 0 and type "clean". With a fresh harddisk boot the LiteTouch.wim and everything will be fine again.

Good luck,

Thomas

• Marked as answer by IT Dept Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:52 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:27 PM
  • ~shadster,

in the IT profession i'm not aware of a operation known as "blowing away a harddisk" and we discourage the use of slapstick terms because of their ambiguity; the only valid way to recover from this issue is using the "diskpart.exe" utility to remove all disk partitions.

BChaffin
    • Marked as answer by IT Dept Friday, September 02, 2011 1:39 PM
    Friday, September 02, 2011 1:30 PM

All replies

• Try a force rebuild of the deployment share.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:45 PM
  • that didn't do it mike. i'm thinking it has to be a driver even though i didn't change anything. maybe the enum or hash is working differently in update1.

on one of the problem machines i'm going to set its profile (TS inject drivers to Nothing) to an RTM OS level and see if the winpe will start. that should tell me something.

Monday, July 12, 2010 11:38 PM
  • ah ok .. well I'm a MDT n00b , just started .. I gotta say the Update 1 worked better then the original release. Perhaps just do a fresh install sir?
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Hi IT Dep,

Do you get this error for all machines you try to deploy or only for a specific one?

-Fredrik

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:07 AM
  • Hi the solution is quite easy: It's not a server issue, but a client issue. Apparently there seems to be somethings wrong accessing the harddisk - so boot from standard Winodws PE and open diskpart, select disk 0 and type "clean". With a fresh harddisk boot the LiteTouch.wim and everything will be fine again.

Good luck,

Thomas

• Marked as answer by IT Dept Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:52 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Thomas, you were right about 2 things - 1) clean disk and 2) its easy. Just how long did it take you to figure that out? You can see how i was tripping over the fact that i just applied update1 and I had never had this pop up before. Thanks again my friend, and the check is in the mail. Thank you kindly, Bill Chaffin, Engineer

my suggestion would be that the throw-up dialog for this error say "a diskpart clean disk may be necessary"

------

Fredrik - It was happening on 3 of my 9 machine. I have 38 what i call production machine/OS types. I have 9 machine types and 5 OS for each, some machines don't get every OS. So of most of the 9 machies I can lay down 5 different OS, person installing makes that decision. I keep my drivers segerated into 38 out-of-box folders and control them with 38 selection profiles. Is this what you do?

SHORTCUT - with "The task sequence has been suspended" dialog up don't click OK, press F8 and run diskpart right out of the PE instance.

bc

• Edited by IT Dept Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:16 PM added shorcut
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:14 PM
  • omg how did you figure that one out?!
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:20 PM
  • ... Just how long did it take you to figure that out? ...

Ok, it was quite esay for me as I've been working with MDT/BDD for more than five years but today at a client we had our first experiences with MDT 2010 Update 1. After some first looks and test deployment (some were succcesful, some not) we encountered this issue. The hard drive hint was within the error message for me, and while the client was googling I made a succesful test on another machine and I tried to use diskpart (clear) on the affected as I did it very often before when my installations were not successful and had to be stopped running into the redeployment again.

So, thanks for your money and good luck for you!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Folks,

Just wanted to shed some more light on the root cause, even though diskpart approach works it might be an overkill - the error msg is really being triggered because of the presence of \MININT folder on the system partition (typically C:) since the target device was provisioned before with MDT however you will also need to remove _SMSTaskSequence folder otherwise it will trigger another message as soon as the task sequence is launched.

Hope this helps!

Sean

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Interesting Sean....

wish we would get some resolution option within the MDT script to cleanup and continue. its a pain if you are developing and testing images to hit this thing.

Your information is helpful, thank you.

Bill

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:30 PM
  • The issue we have is that evry time we attempt to reinstall an image on an already deployed machine we get the "LiteTouch has encountered and Environment Error (Boot into WinPE!)" message.

I've removed the MININT folder but the message still pops up immediately after the task sequence starts.

There's no _SMSTaskSequence folder on the drive either

If I format the drive and delete the partitions manually using the Win install DVD the installation then works fine but I don't want to have to do this every time we have to reimage a machine.

Anything else I can look for?

Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:37 AM
  • The issue we have is that evry time we attempt to reinstall an image on an already deployed machine we get the "LiteTouch has encountered and Environment Error (Boot into WinPE!)" message.

I've removed the MININT folder but the message still pops up immediately after the task sequence starts.

There's no _SMSTaskSequence folder on the drive either

If I format the drive and delete the partitions manually using the Win install DVD the installation then works fine but I don't want to have to do this every time we have to reimage a machine.

Anything else I can look for?

Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:38 AM
  • We are seeing the exact same behavior... 
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:58 PM
  • better (more certain) to use diskpart.exe and cleaan the volume. don't click OK when you get the dialog message, press F8 instead and run diskpart, select volume 0, clean.

Bill

Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:16 PM
  • I can add to the confusion.

Consistently (1:1) I only get this error when the computer exists in the database.  All my machines default to a 32bit XP image.  When we need to load x64 XP, I add the machine to the database (using MAC address as the Identifier).  Then I assign that machine to a role which directs it to the XP64 task sequence. 

Once the machine is in the DB -Crash! (32 or 64 boot environment)

Take it out.. no problem in 32. 

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Thanks IT Dept. I started getting the error after updating Mdt 2010 update 1. They should release another to fix that issue.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:38 PM
  • I'm having this same exact issue.  It's like you can't go back to a machine that has already run a task.  Are we missing something that makes the task as "Finshed".  I was trying to do a capture of a installed machine and I couldn't get far enough because of this error.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 7:30 PM
  • I have this same issue however, i have run diskpart clean many times I formatted the hard drive. but this issue appears on any computer now that I want to image.  They all format the disk but then tell me that lite touch is suspended.  What else could cause this.  I rebooted the server, powered down the server. Recreated the boot wims re-updated the deployment share but still no go.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:59 PM
  • I dont see how running the clean command is a solution. I am actually trying to load applications after an OS install and I am running into this issue. If I run the clean command it formats the hard drive resulting in me having to reinstall the OS. We are trying to use this as an easy way to install applications until we get SCCM up and running
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:28 PM
  • THere are two primarty scenarios where this can happen (although not limted to these).

When booting into a Litetouch WinPE image, we can encounter this error:

1. We are in the middle of a Litetouch OS installation, and the user booted back into WinPE, when the new OS should be running. User should remove the WinPE Boot media or adjust the boot order.

2. We start a Litetouch installation from scratch, *however* there was a previous Litetouch Task Sequence running, and was not properly cleaned up. In that case remove the c:\minint\ and/or c:\_SMSTaskSequence directory and reboot back into WinPE.

For MDT 2010 Update 1 we made some enhancments to this environment problem. Previous Versions of MDT would halt the Task Sequence and prevent it from continuing ( a little harsh ).

Make sure you are not within one of the following two cases above.

-k

Keith Garner (KeithGa.com) - Deployment Consultant - http://deployment.XtremeConsulting.com
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hi Keith,

I am new to MDT and this forum. Recently I am testing MDT in my virtual environment. I was able to create a customized image and answer file. When I tried to deploy to a new virtual machine, I got the same error. According to your post, there are two scenarios, but it seems that none of them applied to my situation. My task sequence just created the partition and formatted the drive. Nothing else seems to be done.

In smsts.log, it shows the following errors:

Failed to create C:\_SMSTaskSequence (3)    TSMBootstrap    11/2/2010 2:47:51 PM    2024 (0x07E8)
    Failed to create user-specified local data path C:\_SMSTaskSequence. Error 0x80070003    TSMBootstrap    11/2/2010 2:47:51 PM    2024 (0x07E8)

Failed to save environment to  (80070057)    TSManager    11/2/2010 2:47:52 PM    100 (0x0064)
    Failed to save the current environment block. This is usually caused by a problem with the program. Please check the Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if this is a known issue or contact Microsoft Support Services for further assistance.
    The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows)    TSManager    11/2/2010 2:47:52 PM    100 (0x0064)
    Failed to persist execution state. Error 0x(80070057)    TSManager    11/2/2010 2:47:52 PM    100 (0x0064)
    Failed to save execution state and environment to local hard disk    TSManager    11/2/2010 2:47:52 PM    100 (0x0064)

The execution of the group (Install) has failed and the execution has been aborted. An action failed.
    Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)    TSManager    11/2/2010 2:48:14 PM    100 (0x0064)
    Failed to run the last action: Install Operating System. Execution of task sequence failed.
    Incorrect function. (Error: 00000001; Source: Windows)    TSManager    11/2/2010 2:48:14 PM    100 (0x0064)
    Task Sequence Engine failed! Code: enExecutionFail    TSManager    11/2/2010 2:48:14 PM    100 (0x0064)
    ****************************************************************************    TSManager    11/2/2010 2:48:14 PM    100 (0x0064)
    Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005    TSManager    11/2/2010 2:48:14 PM    100 (0x0064)

BDD.log shows the following errors:

ERROR - Unable to find SETUP, needed to install the image \\W8440P\DeploymentShare$\Operating Systems\win7image\win7image.wim    LTIApply    11/2/2010 2:48:14 PM    0 (0x0000)
    ZTI ERROR - Non-zero return code by LTIApply, rc = 1    LTIApply    11/2/2010 2:48:14 PM    0 (0x0000)
    Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259  0x80004005    LiteTouch    11/2/2010 2:48:15 PM    0 (0x0000)

LiteTouch.log shows the error:

Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259  0x80004005    LiteTouch    11/2/2010 2:48:15 PM    0 (0x0000)

Could you shed some light on me?

Thanks,

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:58 PM
  • THis is a different issue.

Although you can just import a single *.Wim file into your MDT environment to deploy. you *must* have at least one *full* OS imported into your MDT environment at all times. A full environment is one that has the Windows setup.exe program used to install Windows.

This is because MDT 2010 uses the Windows Servicing Stack for some install tasks.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 10:32 PM
  • Keith,

Thanks for replying! Do you mean that besides the customized image, I need a full set of installation files of the OS? Does that mean I can't install the customized image but only the original OS?

What do you think of the error that it couldn't create the folder on C: drive? Is this related to the missing OS installation files?

I will import the source OS files and try again.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Keith,

Just tested the LiteTouch task sequence with the new OS source files. It worked! Thank you so much! You are very sharp to pinpoint the problem.

Is it still possible to choose the customized image to deploy?

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

I was having the same problem, when I syspreped my reference machine and attempted to use MDT to capture it I received the error message - LiteTouch has encountered and Environment Error (Boot into WinPE!). The 'Task Sequence' list did not appear and all I could do was reboot the machine.

I followed Keith's advice and deleted the folders c:\minint and c:\_SMSTaskSequence and a few other files and folders on the root which I did not create  and hey presto!

Many thanks Keith!

Best wishes,

Matt Courtman

Cromwell Community College, UK

Friday, November 12, 2010 8:32 AM
  • Hi Curt,

How did you fix this issue.I am having the same problem.Please let me know the procedure to fix the problem or the way to remove C::\minint\ and/or c:\_SMSTaskSequence directory after the installation of OS using task sequence.

Thanx

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:08 AM
  • I found that this happens when running a TS to sysprep or one that is designed to run after and OS install.  The way I was able to get around it was to run the script manually while already logged into the machine.

This guide has helped me with a lot:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Deploying-Windows-7-Part1.html

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:46 PM
  • To remove or rename these folders you can do one thing...

Boot into PE, and press F8 when you see GUI. Then you will get command prompt.

Go to c:\ and remove or rename directories '_SMSTaskSequence' and 'MININT.'

Restart machine and start PE again.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:21 PM
  • not sure how accurate this is...

i am having the same error and issue when i deploy to a HP 6930p... however when i run the exact same tasksequence on a Dell D630 or E6510/E6320 it works fine, no errors etc.

(windows x64 pro)

my suspicion is that it has to be a driver error but as of yet i haven't been able to resolve.

blowing away the harddisk doesn't resolve as it bombs every time.

~Shadster
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:53 PM
  • ~shadster,

in the IT profession i'm not aware of a operation known as "blowing away a harddisk" and we discourage the use of slapstick terms because of their ambiguity; the only valid way to recover from this issue is using the "diskpart.exe" utility to remove all disk partitions.

BChaffin
    • Marked as answer by IT Dept Friday, September 02, 2011 1:39 PM
    Friday, September 02, 2011 1:30 PM
  •  removing the partitions does not solve this issue(!)

I  wanted people to be aware that these so they can actually resolve it.

IT dept... it wan't meant to be funny or "slapstick" what IS funny is that you have the gull to mark your comment an and answer...

what a joke!

~Shadster
    Friday, September 02, 2011 1:44 PM
  • I've read something recently that the packet size for TFTP has to be modified and there is a patch for that .

Take a look at this article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975710

Monday, October 10, 2011 1:36 PM
  • @Thomas Langhans  - Thanks your suggestion did the trick.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:33 PM
  • ~Shadster

IT Dept and Thomas Langhans' suggestion fixed the issue for me as well.  If you already tried their suggestions on your HP 6930p maybe you have a different issue or maybe your HP 6930p has some type of hardware issue.  No need is chastising them for marking their answers as correct as for multiple users in this forum, it is the answer.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:10 PM
  • ~shadster,

BChaffin
    Was it really necessary to call him our for using a term like that?  And are people here really that confused as to what blowing away a hard disk means? I feel its rather self explanatory.  Shadster wasn't typing up a set of detailed instructions on how to fix the issue, just stating the extreme he went to, which did not work for him. 
    My issue was fixed by the second post marked answer where the 2 folders existed on my C drive.  Deleting those resolve my issue.  I am sure diskpart would have also fixed it but it was unnecessary to go that far
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Thanks for sharing the solution. Very easy!

1- Press f8 during GUI in WinPE

2- diskpart

3- select disk 0

4- clean

boot and you can now deploy without issues! works like a charm!

Monday, December 09, 2013 5:18 PM