none
Project Server 2010 capacity planning RRS feed

• Question

• We have Project Server 2010 in two server farm.

We have two PWA instances. We are reviewing infrastructure currently. Referring to the document here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686784.aspx

While evaluating if the dataset is small or medium, do we count the customfields,projects etc per instance or overall server?

Do we add all the custom fields in both the instances and check if the dataset is medium? I think so but wanted a confirmation.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:40 PM

All replies

• I think it’s one of those things fall under grey area. Since each PWA has its own set of databases it may turn out to be differently if you consider everything under one roof.

Sometimes some datasets numbers may overall look like small but can be consider as low medium.

My suggestion is first add up all custom fields and see how it turns out. Combining two instances may fall under Medium and can be treated as on the edge of small data set.

It’s always good to start with low but of course not very low, later you can scale up or scale out.

Server performance monitoring and analyzing the pattern will help to in decision making process. You also don’t want to end up with investing more than what was needed at initial stage, but you can park some budget for the future

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:53 PM
  • In the end it is best to start off with something at or a little bigger than you think you need and then just do lots of monitoring to see where the bottlenecks might be and then adjust accordingly.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:27 AM