Windows 10 Upgrade from 7 REPEATED FAILURES RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to install the "free" upgrade from Microsoft since August 1. Yes, I keep version 7 updated. Every time I have tried to installed 10 it fails, almost instantly, with a C1900298 error. According to Microsoft there are 20 causes for such an error, each with it's on secondary error code. The Pop-up Microsoft shows does not include a secondary code. I'm attempting to install on a HP laptop almost 18 months old. 

I'm sure Microsoft will figure out some way to make this my fault. After all, I've been using Microsoft OS'es since DOS 3.1.

Can or will anyone help me?

Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:03 AM

Answers

• Hi RXbennett,

Before we do the upgrade, please ensure the device manufacturer has released the Windows 10 compatible drivers for you machine model.

If you are using the upgrade apps, we could also try to upgrade with a Windows 10 ISO. We could download the Windows 10 installation ISO here. Boot from the Windows 10 ISO and choose "Upgrade" install.
    Get Windows 10
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Before we do the upgrade, please ensure the machine has got the latest updates and open an administrator command line to run "sfc /scannow"(Windows 7) to check the health of system files. Unplug all the external devices during the upgrade process. Turn off the antivirus software or uninstall it completely.
    To isolate the third party service conflict issue, we could do the upgrade in a clean boot environment.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If the issue persists, please check the setup.log(C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther) (hidden)for more information to troubleshoot this issue. If you have troubles in analyzing the log, please upload it to OneDrive and paste the link here. We will try to analyze the log for you.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 2, 2016 5:59 AM