Can I show/hide sections of the document based on what users click on? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a word document listing terms and conditions divided into sections (paragraphs). On page 1 of the document I have a list of items/paragraphs and I added links to each item that takes me to the corresponding place in the document where that section is explained.

What I would like to do is to introduce a layered approach whereby, when a user accesses this document, they are presented with the list of content only. Each of the sections that follow in the document should then be suppressed and should only be displayed (on the same page) when customers click on the relevant link/section. This would make the document very easy to access and read through. Is this even possible?

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 1:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Kasia,

For your requirement, I think maybe you can consider to create Outline in Word documents. When you have a complex document to organize, Outline View (View > Outline) helps you focus on its structure. You can use Outline View to create or edit headings, adjust heading levels, and rearrange the content until everything is right where you want it.

For details about how to create Outline in Outline View, please read:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-document-outline-in-outline-view-cfdd43c9-021f-4d5d-a678-34a182f4433c

After you created it, we can use the Navigation Pane (Go to View tab, select the checkbox for "Navigation Pane") to click on the heading, then it will go to that part automatically.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:06 AM
  • Thursday, May 10, 2018 1:27 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

Please feel free to post back if you need further help.

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates on the thread?

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Monday, May 21, 2018 9:14 AM