none
System State and BMR Backups Fail (Replica is Inconsistent / Recovery Point Cannot Be Created) RRS feed

• Question

• My BMR and System State backups are failing.  DPM Server 2010 reports that the Replica is Inconsistent / Recovery Point Cannot Be Created.  WSBackup on protected server reports "Access Denied".  Here are excerpts from the Application and WSBackup Event Logs:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Backup
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Backup
    Date:          6/20/2011 7:07:10 PM
    Event ID:      5
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      <deleted>
    Description:
    The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎06‎-‎20T23:06:39.911406100Z' has failed with following error code '2155348299'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Backup
    Date:          6/20/2011 7:07:10 PM
    Event ID:      517
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      <deleted>
    Description:
    The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎06‎-‎20T23:06:39.911406100Z' has failed with following error code '2155348299' (There was a failure in creating a directory on the backup storage location.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

The protected server is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V Failover Cluster with (iSCSI) CSV.  Other backup sources on the server work just fine.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:52 AM

Answers

• I removed / re-added system protection to the protection group, and then increased the allocated size.  This appears to have resolved the problem  'will keep my fingers crossed. 
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Is the server successful for system state only and NOT selecting BMR? or does that fail as well?
    If you try a system state and\or BMR backup via wbadmin on the local server only does it work?

System state- from a command prompt type: Wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:c:
    BMR- from a command prompt type:  wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backupTarget:<any existing drive name>:

Do these work or do they fail as well? DPM uses wbadmin to take the snapshot and move the data over to the DPM replica and recovery point volumes.

Thanks,
    Shane

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:02 PM
  •  BMR backups to the DPM volumes fail as well (The WSBackup event log shows "access denied.")  The DPM alert shows the following:

DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 517, WSB Error Code:  0x8078014B). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)

However both system state and BMR local backups using the wbadmin command-line you provide work.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Hello,

I do have some followup questions.

1.) Are you sure that no other application\process is also backing up the target server? You'd also see the entry of error=SimilarTaskExistsForDatasource showing up in the trace logs.
    2.) Make sure you have "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing" enabled on the NIC that is used on the backup network for the client and DPM.
    3.) Is the server successful for system state only and NOT selecting BMR? or does just system state also fail as well?

Thanks,
    Shane

Thursday, July 7, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Hello,

I do have some followup questions.

1.) Are you sure that no other application\process is also backing up the target server? You'd also see the entry of error=SimilarTaskExistsForDatasource showing up in the trace logs.
    2.) Make sure you have "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing" enabled on the NIC that is used on the backup network for the client and DPM.
    3.) Is the server successful for system state only and NOT selecting BMR? or does just system state also fail as well?

Thanks,
    Shane

In response to your questions:

1) The protected server is a hyper-v cluster node, with the following resources in the same protection group: "C:" volume, System State/BMR, and Hyper-V cluster virtual machines.  No other backup applications targets these data sources.  What logs would contain the error message?

2) "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing" are enabled on the NIC used for backups.  The "non-system protection" resources listed above backup with no errors.

3) I do not see any separate logs for system state backups. 

Expanding on the first question, I have a question.  Since the system protection backup includes the (C:) system drive, do I really need to add the C: volume as a separate protected resource?

• Edited by dan adams Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:13 PM typos
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Hello,

" Since the system protection backup includes the (C:) system drive, do I really need to add the C: volume as a separate protected resource?" --No you do not need to do that.

The DPM trace logs would be found in the %Program Files%\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Temp directory.
    The target server backup logs will be found in the C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup directory.  They will be in etl format and will need to be converted from etl to something readable.
    You can however see logs in the event logs:
         Expand: Event Logs\Applications and Services Logs\ Microsoft\Windows\Backup\Operational

Thanks
    Shane

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:18 PM
  • I removed / re-added system protection to the protection group, and then increased the allocated size.  This appears to have resolved the problem  'will keep my fingers crossed. 
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:59 PM