Windows 7 not saving Profile on 2003 server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

im working with a few schools that are currently upgrading from windows xp to windows 7. this means we have a bunch of new win7 and some old xp all on the same network. Currently the profiles are working great with windows xp, if you create a new user it creates a profile folder and keeps everything on the server. but now if you create a new user or a older user logs on to a win7 machine it creates a empty .v2 folder for their profile. I understand that you cannot share between win7 and xp but there has to be a way to at least start a new profile with windows 7. Thoughts?? 

thanks! 

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to verify if the user received any error message when logged on. As far as I know, in a multi OS environment, Windows XP will be named USERNAME and Windows 7 profile will be named as USERNAME.V2.

I suggest clearing the profile on the problematic computer.

1. Click Start -> type sysdm.cpl in the search box -> press Enter

2. On Advanced tab, click Settings under user Profiles

3. Delete the user profile, then login to check the result

If the issue persists, I think it is more related to server, I recommend to post in server forum to check the issue from their side.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/threads

Best Regards,

Niki

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:42 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. 

This is happening to all 40 computers in the school for anyone who logs on. We are getting the windows xp USERNAME folder and the windows 7 .v2 folder. Which is good. but the only one that populates information such as App Data, desktop .. is the xp USERNAME folder. The .v2 is left empty. Ill check out that link thanks!

josh 

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, I assume the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards,

Niki

Niki Han

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:08 AM
  • We are still have issues. Cannot find the solution besides upgrading all servers to 2008.... 
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

If you have not upgraded the server, how about pointing the user folder in AD directly as \\server\share\username.V2?

Best Regards,

Niki

Niki Han

• Edited by Niki Han Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:51 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:51 AM
  • i tried \\server\share\username.v2 but it just creates a folder named username.v2.v2 still with nothing inside that folder.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:31 PM