Updates and Hotfixes for DirectAccess 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• for some of you who use DirectAccess probably familiar with the following link
    Recommended hotfixes and updates for Windows Server 2012 DirectAccess

as far as I know and according to TechNet, DirectAccess hasn't change a bit from 2012 to 2012 R2 servers.

I use DirectAccess on Windows Server 2012 R2 and I'm surprised to see that there is no single update from that list the applicable with either Server 2012 R2.

if it's true - shouldn't there be a documentation that talks about the differences of the DirectAccess Client\Server from 2012\8 to 2012 R2 \ 8.1?

I'm asking because I want to make sure those updates are already include or not needed for 2012 R2\8.1 and not "forgotten" or something.

Tamir Levy

Monday, December 30, 2013 2:51 PM

All replies

• I'd say that they are so "old" that they are included in 8.1/R2.

I don't have a either available but if you have you can validate the version numbers of the files in each update against a 8.1/R2 machine. Updates are checked in before a cutoff date (when the buildphase of the next version ends) are included in the next release unless they are deemed to be faulty or the functionality has been decommissioned.

Hth, Anders Janson Enfo Zipper

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:50 PM
  • It'd be nice to have official confirmation of whether these fixes are built into 2012 R2 and 8.1.  Some post-date the introduction of these OSs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2883952

It's important to know when symptoms matching these TechNet articles are seen

• Edited by Calliper Monday, February 10, 2014 9:50 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 9:46 AM
  • You have the official confirmation in the article. It's in the "applies to" section. You will not see articles which lists what products the fix does not apply to (at least since a number of years).

It says (and if you look into the articles as well) that it only applies to Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8. A number of the articles have been modified later than the parent article, even this year, and they still says it only applies to Win8/Server 2012.

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:20 AM
  • I was afraid that you'll said that

I hate to be the annoying guy but take a look at this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2787534

Applied to: Windows 8\2012,
    Doesn't Apply to: Windows 8.1\2012 R2

and - for a fact, doesn't include in Windows 8.1\2012 R2 as this bug still exists in those operating systems.
    another annoying fact - No other update was released for these version yet.

this example approves that not every hotfix \ updates that was released for 8\2012 before 8.1\2012 R2, is already included in 8.1\2012 R2

and allow me to add another fact.

when you configure DirectAccess via the remote access wizard it creates a WMI query called DirectAccess - Laptop Only WMI Filter.

after you create it in Windows Server 2012 R2 - look at the WMI Query and you'll see that by default it doesn't apply to version 6.3! the version for Windows 8.1.

if you want to add the support for Windows 8.1 you have to modify manually the query which is of course, not supported by Microsoft.

That is just another symptom that makes me wonder if Microsoft did ANY change or update to DirectAccess 2012 R2

Tamir Levy

Monday, February 10, 2014 8:10 PM
  • Alright, I suspected you'd find an article that would be contrary to what I said.

If the article does not mention another version, it does not apply to that version because

- issue has been resolved in new version

- issue has not been resolved in new version and no fix exists

Do note that there's no consistency in the articles since wrt this. I have a bit of experience from this.

In the case that the issue still exists, do contact MS support and request the fix. That is free of charge regardless if the fix is available or not. At the very least you'll get some information on when you can expect a fix to be released if a fix will be released.

Unfortunately, this is not the place to get the 'official answer', for that you need to contact Microsoft directly. Many of us here have extensive experience for various reasons (including this topic) but we are not authorative. For that you'll need to get an Escalation Engineer (on support) or the product group itself.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:05 PM