Problems with creating folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am new here, and am not any kind of computer expert.  In fact i know squat about computer jargon eg codecs or anything like that.

I've had my laptop for about 18 months now, and have had a recurring problem with my Vista Home Premium.  Any time that I create/delete/rename a folder, a 'calculating time remaining' window appears.  Even though the green progress bar is full, the window remains until I go to Task Manager and end the 'calculating time remaining' window.

When I do this, I get another window saying 'Windows Explorer is not responding' then explorer closes then restarts.

Amongst other things, such as Movie Maker freezing and crashing when I try to publish a movie to my desktop, and Windows DVD Maker just plain not working, this is becoming a major headache to me.

If anyone, maybe a mod, could help me on this, it would be much appreciated, as this prevents me from doing basic tasks.

Thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:33 PM

Answers

•  

Hi pesto, I have checked the link and made sure it is working fine under Windows Vista with IE7. I suggest you enter Safe Mode and check if the "calculating time remaining" issue still occurs.

To enter Safe Mode, please follow the steps below:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode by using the up and down arrows on your keyboard, and press Enter.

4. Start the computer in Safe Mode.

(Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer. )

5. Let's check if the issue occurs in Safe Mode.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi pesto, this issue can be caused by third party software conflicts. I suggest you first perform a Clean Boot to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Meanwhile, I suggest you try a free online virus scan on the following site in order to make sure the computer is virus free:

http://safety.live.com

For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

Friday, October 31, 2008 6:30 AM
  • Hi Sean.

Thanks for getting back to me.  Unfortunately, the advice you gave me made no difference.  Also when i tried the free virus scan (the Vista version) i get a message saying "

We're sorry. This version of the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner doesn't work with your Web browser or operating system.

You need Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000 Server. You also need either Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or MSN® 9.0 or higher."

I am really frustrated at this, as nothing i try seems to work, hence why i posted on this board.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, October 31, 2008 1:09 PM
  •  

Hi pesto, I have checked the link and made sure it is working fine under Windows Vista with IE7. I suggest you enter Safe Mode and check if the "calculating time remaining" issue still occurs.

To enter Safe Mode, please follow the steps below:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode by using the up and down arrows on your keyboard, and press Enter.

4. Start the computer in Safe Mode.

(Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer. )

5. Let's check if the issue occurs in Safe Mode.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:26 AM