none
Keeping network drives mapped when not connected to domain network

Question

• Hi,

I am looking to keep all users network drives mapped when they use their machine off the network. When they are not connected to the the network, it just doesn't display with any.

The reason for this is because when they are off the network and connect via a VPN, it doesn't map their network drives.

Seen some different methods online but, looking for the most practical one that will do this.

Thanks,

Monday, September 19, 2016 2:24 PM

All replies

• The reason for this is because when they are off the network and connect via a VPN, it doesn't map their network drives (Obviously, as this step is missed in the log on scripts)

Hi,
    I would suggest you use group policy preference to map drives and see if it works after you run gpupdate /force command when user is connected over VPN.
    In addition, please have a try to directly access the drive and see what error message appear.
    Here is a similar thread which you could refer to:
    Dynamically Map drives after VPN connection?
    https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/151960-dynamically-map-drives-after-vpn-connection
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:24 AM
  • We use group policy to map drives. because of this; when the user connects to a public\home broadband, the drives aren't mapped because it cannot see the network\servers that the share is on until they use the VPN. When they do use the VPN, the drives aren't mapped so, i need them to stay.

Need a way for it to stick, even when it cant see the network. That way when they do connect via the VPN, they should start working and re-connect without the user having to do anything.

Monday, October 24, 2016 11:08 PM