none
Define a total cost for a resource RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I have a resource who is assigned to several tasks.  There is no fee per task, but only a total amount of cost agreed for performing all these tasks together. 

Is it possible to define this in Project?

Saturday, August 4, 2018 7:48 PM

All replies

• Roger --

In this situation, I would set the Standard Rate to $0/h for the resource and then set a Fixed Cost amount on one or all of the tasks so that the total Fixed Cost amount for all tasks is the agreed upon cost.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Saturday, August 4, 2018 9:19 PM
  • If you are going to break the project down into distinct tasks, then you have to decide how to distribute the cost between them. How you do that is a matter of choice. You could pile the entire cost onto just one of them, and $0 for the rest, or you could distribute the cost evenly between them, or different amounts to each of them. And the way to do it without deriving the cost from a resource rate is to assign the amounts as fixed cost for the task. See the cost table.

Any help?

Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:33 PM
  • Hello Trevor, Hello Hale,

Thanks for your reactions, however I figured out these possibilities myself but rejected them as it is still a work-around and not an exact solution.  A prorata or other distribution is not always correct, a progress report or an EV analysis would diverge from reality.  I had hoped there would be a waterproof solution but as I understand in MS PRoject you can only apply a cost to a resource assignment to a task, not directly to the resource itself (for the whole duration of the project).  So be it, I can live with it.

Sunday, August 5, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Roger,

Just a thought. Would the Cost/Use field on the Resource Sheet help? Or how about using one of the extra Resource Cost fields (e.g. Cost1)? That will be independent of resource labor or how many times the resource is used on the plan.

John

Sunday, August 5, 2018 3:52 PM