Storage space cant be cleaned in Outlook online RRS feed

• Question

• SO the Normal Gear > General > Mail option to then delete Older than ... Option is now apparently gone in Outlook 365 online. (404 error on the old page)

If you go to Gear > View All Outlook Settings > General > Storage you see the size Used but there is nothing you can do about it.

And since the in-place archive rules have never worked properly, what is a person to do now?

Even if you go into these new menu system and try to create a rule... It Does NOT work...

You can NOT choose a date before TODAY and if you type it in manually, it keeps jumping back to Today. What is the point of that? Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone find a solution? Its just crazy..

Bob K.

• Edited by Bob Karon Wednesday, April 22, 2020 3:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2020 3:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Bob,

Welcome to our forum.

I know it's troublesome that you can't choose a date before today but I'm afraid this is by design.

According to your description, you may have a big mailbox. If you'd like to clean your mailbox, it is suggested to move the emails you don't need anymore to a specific folder(such as Archive folder) and empty this folder. If you'd like to archive your old eamils(Archive to local), it is suggested to use Outlook desktop client to archive your emails in PST files.

In addition, since here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook desktop client but your question is more related to Outlook.com on the web, so if your issue continues, it is suggested to post a new thread to the dedicated Answers community for outlook.com: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thanks for your understanding and hope your question will be resolved soon.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 23, 2020 2:28 AM
  • Thanks. That was of ZERO help. This is an office 365 question really. This is a an In Place Archive questions really. This is a removal of a feature question really. 

You can NOT just use outlook on your desktop. Maybe you dont know this, but only Outlook that comes with Office Professional seems to allow viewing of an in place archive folders on the desktop. Home and Business from perpetual licenses (which my client owns 20 licenses of) on all their desktops wont allow you to see the in-place archive (thanks Microsoft!). And... ever try download 95 gigs to outlook in order to move around 50 gigs of emails then have that sync back up to the cloud again? try it and see how that works.

When there are suppose to be features on O365 that do this... like retention policies, which usually dont seem to work or run when they are suppose to, downloading 95 gigs to a desktop should not be necessary. Sorry if this is not the exact right forum for the post, i thought it was, but stock replies dont help either, a link to the correct forum would be the best help you could give. :)

Thanks.

Bob Karon Computer Solutions www.INeedBob.com

Thursday, April 23, 2020 11:43 AM
  • In Outlook, choose File> Cleanup Tools > Mailbox Cleanup. Do any of the following: View the total size of your mailbox and of individual folders within it. Find items older than a certain date or larger than a certain size.
    Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:12 PM
  • You didnt read the post. O365 web...not outlook.

Thanks for trying though. :)

Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:19 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

In this situation, just as you said, it is suggested to use Retention policies as a workaround.

For your reference: Retention and archive policies in Outlook Web App.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 24, 2020 1:46 AM
  • SO the Normal Gear > General > Mail option to then delete Older than ... Option is now apparently gone in Outlook 365 online. (404 error on the old page)

If you go to Gear > View All Outlook Settings > General > Storage you see the size Used but there is nothing you can do about it.

And since the in-place archive rules have never worked properly, what is a person to do now?

Even if you go into these new menu system and try to create a rule... It Does NOT work...

You can NOT choose a date before TODAY and if you type it in manually, it keeps jumping back to Today. What is the point of that? Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone find a solution? Its just crazy..

Bob K.

Sounds like it should coming back.

https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/907141-the-new-outlook-on-the-web-office-365/suggestions/36879973-what-happened-to-the-simple-clean-up-option

You can still get to it via the old menu however.

https://outlook.office365.com/owa/?path=/classic%C2%A0%C2%A0

Then go to settings and under the Mail Settings, near the bottom of the Menu on the left is "Clean Up Mailbox"  (https://outlook.office.com/owa/?path=/options/mailboxcleanup)

Saturday, April 25, 2020 11:08 AM
  • Hi Bob,

How is everything going? Please refer to the informations of Andy and see if they are helpful. If they are helpful, do you mind helping mark the post above as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 7:17 AM
  • No solution found. Old page still reports 404 error for multiple clients O365 accounts for multiple domains, so i know it IS microsoft's issue. still no cleanup option on the new interface for deleting old mail.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 8:20 PM
  • No solution found. Old page still reports 404 error for multiple clients O365 accounts for multiple domains, so i know it IS microsoft's issue. still no cleanup option on the new interface for deleting old mail.

Can you post an image of what your options are using the classic gui?
    Tuesday, April 28, 2020 9:18 PM
  • My first post says, there is a 404 error for the original page for this feature and the new page no longer has a cleanup/delete option. 

But as of yesturday, the old page redirects to the NEW page in which they removed the option to cleanup mail older than x days.... as in the below image....

Bob K

• Edited by Bob Karon Tuesday, April 28, 2020 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2020 9:23 PM
  • Ok so it looks like you are using the consumer version ( outlook.com)? 

Sorry, I missed that. Not sure if the classic version is available anymore. 

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 9:30 PM
  • No, this is Office 365 E1 corporate licenses. 

Bob K

• Edited by Bob Karon Tuesday, April 28, 2020 9:33 PM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2020 9:33 PM
  • No, this is Office 365 E1 corporate licenses. 

Bob K

So you dont see the classic interface at all?

https://outlook.office365.com/owa/?path=/classic%C2%A0%C2%A0

• Marked as answer by Bob Karon Tuesday, May 5, 2020 11:44 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2020 11:32 AM
  • I will have them try it when i am back at the office. That might work, i could not locate that link for the classic interface but the feature is completly gone from the newer interface and i could not find a way to switch back to the classic interface. Hopefully it works! Thank yoU!

Bob K

• Edited by Bob Karon Wednesday, April 29, 2020 11:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2020 11:46 AM
  • Hi Bob,

It has been a while, how is everything going?

If the reply above is helpful to you, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 7:22 AM