How do I set up my webcam on my Advent quantum q200? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought an Advent Quantum Q200 laptop which has an inbuilt webcam but I can't seem to enable it. I tried doing so in Skype and Windows Live Messenger but it doesn't seem to detect it. Can someone please please help?
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Oliver,

As far as I can see from an examination of the Q200 specification, this laptop does not include a built in webcam. It does have 3 built in USB ports, so installing a seperate webcam is still an option. Because such a webcam will have a larger lens you should also benefit from a better quality picture.

Hope this helps

Rgds

Pat

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by 39Namaste Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:38 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Oliver,

As far as I can see from an examination of the Q200 specification, this laptop does not include a built in webcam. It does have 3 built in USB ports, so installing a seperate webcam is still an option. Because such a webcam will have a larger lens you should also benefit from a better quality picture.

Hope this helps

Rgds

Pat

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by 39Namaste Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:38 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Hey ! i had the same problem with mine took me ages to figure it out, what you got to do is download picasa :) when you have downloaded the picasa onto your laptop click into it and you will see a web cam on the bar on the picasa sight . click that and it should load ? hope this can help ?
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:19 PM
  • What are you on about Nicky.Z? I thought Picasa was Googles photo uploading, sorting application for photos? and it probably handles video. But how EXACTLY did you get your camera working on your Q200?Anyway we all know by now that on the Advent Q200 the fn (function) key + f7 key toggles the built in camera on and off, great but still nothing happens - I'm trying to use Skye for video calls although I would be delighted if any application would show me video from this camera if it exists?? Although the published specs. do say it has a webcam I cannot find it on the Device manager. Any info welcome from other Q200 users or anyone else who can explain why the device i.e. the built in webcam, does not show on Device manager and asa result I can't confirm if there are any drivers loaded for it or not?
    • Proposed as answer by Wingco39 Monday, May 9, 2011 11:44 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 10:53 AM
  • 39Namaste, I am almost sure you are wrong. If you check out the specs on PC World's website and others spec. is as follows:-

CPU Intel Celeron C900 2.2GHz
    Memory 2GB DDR3 (1 memory slot. Max 2GB)
    Hard Drive 250GB SATA
    CD Drive DVD±RW
    Screen 13.3" Widescreen LCD (1280x800)
    Video Card Intel GL40 integrated graphics
    Webcam 1.3 Megapixel
    Sound Card HD Audio IDT92HD81
    Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
    802.11 b/g/n WLAN
    Ports 1x Card Reader
    3x USB 2.0
    1x LAN
    1x Headphone
    1x Microphone
    Dimensions 33.4 x 343.6 x 237 (HxWxD in mm)
    Weight 1.99kg

The question is how come it does not appear on device manager or on the driver list? and why a no show on Skype?
    • Proposed as answer by Wingco39 Monday, May 9, 2011 11:44 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Hi Oliver, Did you ever get your webcam on the Q200 working? and if so how?
    Monday, May 9, 2011 11:28 AM