none
Host file update logging RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All...I am trying to monitor host file updates in Windows Servers. Please share if it will get logged in event viewer when host file gets updated. Let me know if you have any resources.

VT

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Event viewer does not log changes to hosts file.

If you feel that your host file has been changed, you can refer to the answer in this post to track who changed your host file.

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/6883/something-is-changing-my-hosts-file-without-asking

Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Thanks Leon for your reply. I was looking into this article to enable object access in GPO, do you also think it will help ? Please share your thoughts.

VT

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:21 PM
  • Hello,

I think what you are looking for is this.

Using Event Viewer to track changes to Files

Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 2:01 AM
  • Thanks Leon. I was able to do that using a monitoring tool.

VT

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 8:22 PM
  • Good to hear that you have found a useful tool.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Leon

Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:28 AM