Issues with filetype associations RRS feed

• Question

• I use this program called Editra to open .rpy files. But after moving Editra on my PC, .rpy files were no longer associated with Editra. So I double click the .rpy file and Windows asks me to select a program to open it with. I browse to Editra's new location and select it, but after confirming it doesn't show up in the list of programs as you would expect.

I suspect that the location of the Editra program is logged in my registry somewhere, and when I select Editra again there's a conflict with registry or whatever. I'm guessing I have to delete a record in registry somewhere. Though if so, I wouldn't know where.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hum.  Again the developer could tel you that but you could also search through the registry for the file name (or some other keyword) for its location

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by Tecnophobe Thursday, July 9, 2015 9:59 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:26 PM

All replies

• I suspect your best bet is to contact the developer as it is written in Python.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 2:16 PM
  • Well, I had the same problem before with a different program... It's really not an issue with the program itself, but with Windows itself and how it remembers the locations of programs associated with filetypes.
    • Edited by Tecnophobe Thursday, July 9, 2015 2:19 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 2:18 PM
  • When you set a default app it points to the current exe files location.  Have you tried re-associating it be browsing to the current location and setting it?

Thursday, July 9, 2015 2:41 PM
  • Yeah, I tried. But after browsing to it and selecting it, it doesn't show up in the list of programs. Presumably because it already registered that program to a different location. I've forgotten where that old location might be, though.
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:12 PM
  • Hum.  Again the developer could tel you that but you could also search through the registry for the file name (or some other keyword) for its location

• Marked as answer by Tecnophobe Thursday, July 9, 2015 9:59 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:26 PM
  • Oh cool, it worked. I never thought of using search in regedit. I looked for every instance of Editra and removed them. After trying again the problem didn't occur again. Thanks.
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 9:59 PM
  • Thanks for letting us know and glad it was that easy.  Good luck

Thursday, July 9, 2015 10:04 PM