How to convert an existing Azure VM from Windows Server 2012 to 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing Azure VM running Windows Server 2012. I've discovered a compatibility issue between a key business application and Windows Server 2012. Therefore, I am interested in downgrading my OS to Windows Server 2008. I'm looking for the best and most efficient way to accomplish.
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 6:57 PM

Answers

• Kristian, thanks for your reply. I did confirm from a MS engineer that an Azure VM OS downgrade is not possible. I appreciate your suggestion and was not even aware that one could run an application in an alternative OS compatibility mode. I was not able to find any server-specific compatibility modes for my application, only desktop compatibility modes (e.g. Win7, Vista, XP, etc.). I did try 3 different compatibility modes (Win7, Vista, and XP), but none solved this application's particular problem. I did also create a new Azure VM running Windows Server 2008 R2 and my application runs fine there. When a future version of the application is compatible with Windows Server 2012, I understand that an OS upgrade is possible on an Azure VM. -David
    • Marked as answer by DavKer Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:38 PM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:45 PM

All replies

• This is not supported. Have you tried to run the application in 2008 R2 compability mode?

-kn

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:18 PM
  • Kristian, thanks for your reply. I did confirm from a MS engineer that an Azure VM OS downgrade is not possible. I appreciate your suggestion and was not even aware that one could run an application in an alternative OS compatibility mode. I was not able to find any server-specific compatibility modes for my application, only desktop compatibility modes (e.g. Win7, Vista, XP, etc.). I did try 3 different compatibility modes (Win7, Vista, and XP), but none solved this application's particular problem. I did also create a new Azure VM running Windows Server 2008 R2 and my application runs fine there. When a future version of the application is compatible with Windows Server 2012, I understand that an OS upgrade is possible on an Azure VM. -David
    • Marked as answer by DavKer Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:38 PM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:45 PM