exchange 2013 - undeliverable message not going to group members RRS feed

• Question

• I am able to send emails from a group email.  I can receive emails from this same account. but when i send an email to an invalid email address, i get an undeliverable message in the group account but it is not being forwarded to the members of the group

Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:23 PM

Answers

• OK, a distribution group, by default, is set to not deliver NDRs to anyone.  I don't know if this is for both sending and receiving, but you may change that and see if it changes anything.

As for a shared mailbox, if you send as (or on behalf of) a shared mailbox, the NDR is returned only to the shared mailbox - in order to see it, you need to open the shared mailbox.  It won't be forwarded to mailbox owners.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to the above suggestion, I would like to clarify the following thing:

You cannot configure Microsoft Exchange Server to send non-delivery reports (NDRs) to a distribution list.

For more information, here is a kb for your reference.

Non-delivery reports to a distribution list or to a public folder in Exchange server are not supported (Note: Though it is Exchange 2010, it also applies to Exchange 2013 about this issue)

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/817220/en-us?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:17 AM

All replies

• By "group email", do you mean a shared mailbox, or sending as a Distribution group?  It's hard to tell, because you say you can receive emails, but when you get an undeliverable message, the other members don't - which is no different from receiving a message.  But you say it isn't forwarded - an NDR wouldn't be forwarded, it would be delivered.  So if you can give us a few more details, it will help us answer your question better.

Oh, and I forgot - this is the Exchange Previous Versions forum, so you will probably want to move this thread to the Exchange 2013 forum to receive the best answer.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:37 PM
  • I have tried as both a distribution group and a shared mailbox.  as a dist group, all members receive regular email.  but in the instance of an NDR, none of the members will receive.  if I log into the group mailbox directly, I see the NDR message.  I have tried creating rules specifically looking for the undeliverable message and forwarding the the members, but this doesnt work either.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:53 PM
  • OK, a distribution group, by default, is set to not deliver NDRs to anyone.  I don't know if this is for both sending and receiving, but you may change that and see if it changes anything.

As for a shared mailbox, if you send as (or on behalf of) a shared mailbox, the NDR is returned only to the shared mailbox - in order to see it, you need to open the shared mailbox.  It won't be forwarded to mailbox owners.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to the above suggestion, I would like to clarify the following thing:

You cannot configure Microsoft Exchange Server to send non-delivery reports (NDRs) to a distribution list.

For more information, here is a kb for your reference.

Non-delivery reports to a distribution list or to a public folder in Exchange server are not supported (Note: Though it is Exchange 2010, it also applies to Exchange 2013 about this issue)

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/817220/en-us?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:17 AM