none
Ping works but returns ipv6 address, ping -4 fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a split-brain DNS setup on my lab infrastructure. From the DMZ, I have two DNS servers (Windows Server 2012 R2) with a zone that represents the LAN namespace.

I ping a LAN server and I get a response but I get the IPV6 format returned.
    If I do ping [IP] -4 for IPV4, the ping fails?

Is this something in the NIC settings of the server? The server is on VMWare ESXi 6.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 11:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Gurdip Sira,

>Ping is with hostname of FQDN.

If ping FQDN, then return IPv6 address, also check DNS resolution, check if there are AAAA records in DNS zone.

>Would I make the change specified on the target server I am trying to ping or the source server?

Uncheck "IPv6" on the target server then try ping command again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 29, 2016 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Gurdip Sira,

1. Does the issue only occurs on that server?

2. >I ping a LAN server and I get a response but I get the IPV6 format returned.

Ping with IP address or FQDN?

You may provide an ipconfig/all on that server and provide a screen shot of the ping result.

3. Uncheck "TCP/IPv6" on the Server's NIC, and check the ping result.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Hi Gurdip Sira,

1. Does the issue only occurs on that server?

2. >I ping a LAN server and I get a response but I get the IPV6 format returned.

Ping with IP address or FQDN?

You may provide an ipconfig/all on that server and provide a screen shot of the ping result.

3. Uncheck "TCP/IPv6" on the Server's NIC, and check the ping result.

Best Regards,

Anne

The issue seems to occur with a few LAN servers I have tried to ping.

Ping is with hostname of FQDN. Pinging the ipv4 address brings no response? There is a firewall in between but that is allowing traffic.

Would I make the change specified on the target server I am trying to ping or the source server?

Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:10 PM
  • Hi Gurdip Sira,

>Ping is with hostname of FQDN.

If ping FQDN, then return IPv6 address, also check DNS resolution, check if there are AAAA records in DNS zone.

>Would I make the change specified on the target server I am trying to ping or the source server?

Uncheck "IPv6" on the target server then try ping command again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, April 29, 2016 2:53 AM