Connecting to Vista Remote Assistance from Windows XP/2003. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Since a week I'm evaluating SCE 2007.  As System Center Essentials is a monitoring product which is also used to provide support to client pc's I expected it to be able to have Remote Assistance capability to Windows Vista.

However as I read on the link below this doesn't seem to be possible, what a pity as all clients will become Vista one day or another so SA's won't be able to manage them remotely.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/398b5eda-aa7f-4078-94c5-1519b697bfa01033.mspx#E6D

Is MS looking for workaround here, remote desktop isn't really an alternative here.

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:38 AM

All replies

• This may be your answer. You have to lower the security settings in RDP

http://windowsvista32.blogspot.com/2007/08/remote-to-vista-from-xp2003.html

with windows vista.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:51 PM
  •  

This is how you would connect to Vista from XP/W2K3 via RDP, this doesn't have an effect on Remote Assistance..
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:00 AM
  • This is a known issue between Vista and XP/Server 2003. I believe that the long term solution will be the release of Server 2008, since Remote Assistance does work between Server 2008 and Vista. This would solve your problem for SCE as you could migrate your SCE server to Server 2008 allowing Remote Assistance to work for both Vista and XP clients.

HTH,

Tim

Thursday, August 16, 2007 5:51 PM
  •  

Thank you Tim: yes this seems to be the only solution.

I tried to install the Remote Console for SCE2007 on a Vista but the file location for the Remote Assistance executable is different, hence the installation failed.

Friday, August 17, 2007 9:56 AM
  • Пацаны, вас тупо разводят, чтобы вы купили эту Висту  

Friday, August 31, 2007 2:00 PM
  • I am also looking for a similar solution.  I have the console loaded on a Vister Ultimate machine and I want to do the remote asstistance feature from the console to either XP or other Vista machines.  I keep gettin a error message, "application: c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\helpctr.exe Parameters: -FromStartHelp - url hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/SCEUnsolicitedRCUI.htm - ExtraArgument NOVICECOMPUTER=Web_Master.hh.hrm.lan&NOVICEUSERID="

Error Message: The system cannot find the file specified

Is there a fix for this?

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:47 PM