Windows 10 32 Bit NTVDM will not run most 16 bit MS-DOS programs. RRS feed

• Question

• 3 of my machines are 32 bit running Windows 10 Pro, both insider and standard builds.  Many but not all of my command line DOS utilities that run perfectly under Windows 7 and 8.1 encounter an error that says: "NTVDM has encountered a System Error. A device attached to the system is not functioning. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."  An example of a program that will no longer run under Windows 10's 32 bit NTVDM is Semware's QEdit.exe (Q.exe) or Vern Buerg's List.com along with a host of other 16bit and DOS extended 32 bit programs (like Boxer editor's TKO.exe which uses Phar Lap's DOS extender (which is EMS, XMS, DPMI and VCPI compliant.)

The questions here are, what happened to the excellent NTVDM that ran under Windows 7 and Windows 8 and 8.1?  What can be done to correct this issue or at least circumvent the deficiency.

This DOES NOT apply to 64 bit versions of Windows 10, as no 16 bit support is available under any 64 bit Windows operating system.

:::::::LATER:::::::::

I believe I have solved my own problem:  Under the properties of the command interpreter (CMD.EXE) I have found a "Use Legacy Mode" selection.  Enabling this apparently shifts something in the NTVDM to operate like it did under Windows 7 and 8 (8.1).  The 16 bit programs seem to run okay now.  This just about completely elimates many of the objections I had with Windows 10 (32 bit,) although there are still a few "rough spots."

• Edited by Marc49Lewis Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:27 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You are right. The legacy mode is required during run most 16bit application.

Please split your solution out of your original post in this thread, so that you can mark it as answer and it will be definitely helpful for other communities who may have similar issue as yours.

Thanks for your efforts and sharing on this issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Marc49Lewis Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:50 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 6:09 AM

All replies

• Please review the solution offered in this post.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Hi,

You are right. The legacy mode is required during run most 16bit application.

Please split your solution out of your original post in this thread, so that you can mark it as answer and it will be definitely helpful for other communities who may have similar issue as yours.

Thanks for your efforts and sharing on this issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Marc49Lewis Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:50 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 6:09 AM
  • Thank you, Kate, I'll keep the reply/answer protocol in mind.  And so far, the 16bit subsystem is working quite well, even running complex MS-DOS batch files that call other 16bit programs.

All the best,

Marc

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:50 AM
  • "This DOES NOT apply to 64 bit versions of Windows 10, as no 16 bit support is available under any 64 bit Windows operating system."

To answer this use the solution from...

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/ntvdmx64.html

Friday, November 16, 2018 8:54 AM