Word 2010 unable to take focus when multiple documents are opened via IE9 RRS feed

• Question

• This question relates to a previous KB article which applies to Windows XP and Office 2007:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2521682#appliesto

The issue is this.  We have users who launch Word documents via a corporate application that runs in IE9.  They can at times need to launch dozens of documents one after the other, edit them, and then upload them back into a database.

The first document they open will launch, Word 2010 will take focus, and everything is fine.  Subsequent documents display the behaviour described in the KB article above - the Word icon blinks on the taskbar, the document they've chosen to open is not displayed until they click on the taskbar icon.  Then the document opens itself, and brings itself to the front.  Very confusing for our users.

Does anyone know how to stop this behaviour in a Windows 7 / Office 2010 / IE9 environment?  Interestingly, Excel 2010 isn't affected - it behaves exactly as I want Word 2010 to function.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:05 PM

All replies

• On my test machine, I have Windows 7 + Office 2010 + IE 9, and a test SharePoint server, but I don't have the application to open documents automatically.

So I opened several documents manually from my test server, and obviously I couldn't reproduce the behavior as you described.

Could it be the way the application open the documents? Can we try to modify the behavior? e.g. when a document has been opened, switch the focus to it?

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Max Meng Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:44 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Yes, it's absolutely to do with how the document is being opened.  Opening documents directly from a network share works perfectly.  Opening from a web source via a browser gives completely different behaviour. 

It's not that our in house application is opening the document in a weird way - it's the fact that it's being opened via the browser.  I can also replicate the behaviour on our Intranet - there are a number of Word documents posted to the Intranet (user forms and the like) that can be opened.  They behave in exactly the same manner - the first is fine, but any from that point forward don't open and take focus automatically.

Monday, February 25, 2013 10:45 PM
  • Hi,

Can you share the detail steps to reproduce this behavior without using the application you mentioned?

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:44 AM
  • I'm trying to find a website I could point you to, that behaves in a similar manner, but having trouble finding something so far.

The key is this - if the document opens directly from the website - ie, it isn't downloaded to a local source (eg a temp directory) and then opened from there, then the behaviour I'm describing occurs.

The easiest way to tell is top look at the file info from within MS Word, which displays where the document was opened from.  The files I'm having trouble with are all opened from http://intranet.organisation.gov  If though, for example, I click on a download link from The Microsoft Download Centre and choose 'Open' from the file download dialog box, when the document opens it has opened from C:\Users\<username>\etc...  Then there is no issue.  The document opens, and MS Word takes focus as it should.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:44 AM
  • Hi Thatsnotme - did you ever get any joy with this?

we are having the same problem, but only with documents served from an internal web app over HTTPS with Windows Authentication.

The same documents served from a public website open fine with the word window getting focus.

In both cases the document location is a web address, and the document is opened read only.

I found some information on the web that in some cases when it thins it can, Word  authenticates itself, and attempts to open the document read/write. This could be affecting the behaviour.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:27 AM