none
Exchange Recovery Point volume 3 times normal size while log file size in Exchange is consistent RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've had a situation recently where we've moved Exchange protection to a new DPM 2010 server. The version of DPM and hotfixes, agent etc is the same as previous server.

The Exchange log on two Mailbox databases was around 2GB on Mailbox DB1 and 5GB on Mailbox DB2 for a 24 hour period. DPM would register transferred data on RP as 4GB on DB1 and 10GB on DB2 (rough average per night).

Recently I am seeing transferred to RP volumes, 12GB on DB1 and 30GB on DB2 per night, but not consistently. (backups are 1 Express Full nightly).

I have run a heavy weight consistency check on both Exchange Mailbox DB's and behaviour remains.
    I also ran a test today and verified on DB1 that log file size was 800MB and DPM transferred to RP approximately 7GB.
    I've checked for recurring/failing mailbox moves or imports into Exchange.
    I've checked scheduled tasks on the Exchange server to make sure no offline defrags or file system defrags are scheduled.
    A/V is also not scanning Exchange.

Disk may be cheap but I'd certainly like to know why DPM is behaving this way and consuming significantly more RP volume space. Has anyone come across this and know of a solution.

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:15 AM

All replies

• Are you still moving mailboxes from old server to new server?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:51 AM
  • There are no mailbox moves in progress. The DPM server was spit and Exchange protection moved to a new server.

Monday, February 13, 2012 6:23 AM
  • Danny,

Is this still an issue?  Thank you

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 20, 2012 7:25 PM
  • The issue self resolved. We did not determine what caused the log issue but in retrospect may have been an iPhone client bug :)
    Friday, April 5, 2013 10:20 AM