none
Simulate split-brain RRS feed

• Question

• We have 2 nodes cluster. Quorum is on file share in 3rd server.

Could i Simulate split brain situation ? 

• Edited by Rivers75 Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:33 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Rivers75,

>>Could i Simulate split brain situation ? 

I'm afraid I'm not understanding your description very well.

What are you trying to do?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:21 AM
  • I'm testing all failures situations...
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:34 AM
  • Hi Rivers75,

Sorry I'm not very clear about split brain situation. Would you please give more details.

Run cluster validation and it could also give information of potential issues.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 7:16 AM
  • It is pretty hard, if not impossible, to create a split-brain cluster because the engineers have worked so hard to prevent it from happening.  If the engineers had not been so effective in their protection of the system, you would end up with a split brain by losing the witness to both nodes, and then losing communication between the surviving nodes.  But the engineers don't allow the split-brain to happen in this instance.

In fact, if you were able to create a split-brain, the engineers would be very interested in determining how you were able to accomplish it so they could handle that case as well.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:13 PM
  • We have 2 nodes cluster. Quorum is on file share in 3rd server.

Could i Simulate split brain situation ? 

You can't do that. Cluster with a witness has no heartbeat networks, so putting down witness and breaking connection between the cluster nodes will get BOTH of them going down because majority is lost. 

Cheers,

Anton Kolomyeytsev [MVP]

StarWind Software Chief Architect

Profile:   Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Proposed as answer by Taras Shved Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:19 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:40 AM
  • "cluster with a witness has no heartbeat networks"

what's that mean ? 

and is that heartbeart traffic can also send through public network, so even private network down , other nodes can still detect alive ?

Friday, October 5, 2018 9:09 AM