Sharepoint Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Sharepoint Experts,

I'm looking for documents about moving Sharepoint Farm from one (state) physical location to another location (state). We have SP 2010 dev and prod farms, and all servers are VMs. These SP farms support all users from different sites (states in US). We have Virtual Center environment for all sites, so moving these servers should be easier. I've been googling step-by-step process but unsuccessful. I know every environmnet is different but I'm looking for ideas or something that would help me to at least start the process. I'm still new to SharePoint so any suggesstions will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Hubble

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:50 PM

Answers

• Are the different locations all in the same domain? Is the storage part of the VMs or are they referencing SAN or other external storage?

Assuming same domain and not external storage, As long as you move all of the servers (VMs) in the farm as a whole, there is more or less not much to it. Shut them down and copy the VMs to the new location.

If necessary, update IP addresses and DNS.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:09 PM
  • Cloning SharePoint VMs is not supported so it's not an option.

That they are in the same forest is good, with a two-way trust it doesn't matter which domain the servers are users are in, provided the Active Directory environment is healthy and can support the location of the servers whereever they are.

If this is not possible for you, then you're likely looking at a database migration or a full farm backup and restore to a new farm in the new location. There are also third party tools that could migrate the data to a new farm.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:28 PM

All replies

• Are the different locations all in the same domain? Is the storage part of the VMs or are they referencing SAN or other external storage?

Assuming same domain and not external storage, As long as you move all of the servers (VMs) in the farm as a whole, there is more or less not much to it. Shut them down and copy the VMs to the new location.

If necessary, update IP addresses and DNS.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:09 PM
  • Hi All,

Jason is correct we have done his type of move many times, its not really a migration your moving the environment to another state.

_ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Thanks Jason.

No, locations are in different domain, but one forest. We're using SAN, ISCSI disk arrays, for storage. So our virtual center has multiple data centers, one for each domain. I was thinking of cloning SP servers accross datacenters, but I haven't done that before and not sure if that's the right approach. So it's not as easy as just copying VMs to new location.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:54 PM
  • Cloning SharePoint VMs is not supported so it's not an option.

That they are in the same forest is good, with a two-way trust it doesn't matter which domain the servers are users are in, provided the Active Directory environment is healthy and can support the location of the servers whereever they are.

If this is not possible for you, then you're likely looking at a database migration or a full farm backup and restore to a new farm in the new location. There are also third party tools that could migrate the data to a new farm.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Okay, thanks Jason.
    Friday, February 8, 2013 2:32 PM
  • Jason,

is there 3rd party tool for migration you'd recommend? Also, currently, we're not doing farm backup level, so do we backup our farm only when we are ready to move or restore to new location? Thanks.  

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:07 PM
  • How are you currently backing up your farm? With respect to the move, yes, you would want to create a full backup when you're ready to move (i.e. during your migration window). I would recommend backing up the farm regularly before and after the migration as well ;)

This isn't a recommendation, but the three tools that I am aware of are Metalogix Migration Manager for SharePoint, AvePoint DocAve SharePoint Migrator, and ControlPoint for SharePoint Migration. The company I work for is partners will all three companies. I have personally only used the Metalogix tool and it works well.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Thanks Ivan. Seems you have lots of experience doing this. So do you clone your VMs too, or do the ful farm backup and restore way? Thanks. 
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Jason, we are not doing farm level backup, we're doing site-collection level backup only. On the other hand, we have Netbackup that do full backup of each Sharepoint server. Do you set your backup from Central Administration page? where do you store your backups. Just thought the data migth be too big, need to have ideas how long it will take and how much space I will need.

Also, we have Development Farm, My guess is I should start moving dev farm, correct?

Sorry, im still new to sharepoint and this moving is a big task and I'd like to start planning as early as I could.

Thank you so much for your help.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:36 PM
  • If you're using NetBackup for your full farm backups, you can also use it to do your restore. This backup is the same as the native full farm backup. Just make sure you test the restore before migration day.

For the development farm you could do the same thing just to validate the process (and troubleshoot any issues).

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

No, I do not clone except for Single Server DEMOs. However, I have used P2V many times to take a HW based Servers to Create a VMs. But, I decommission the HW when I am finished.

I have been called into resolve issues where clients have cloned their production Servers and not created a Alias to a new DB server and performed and upgrade on the clone and all of a sudden their production environment was partially upgraded.

The reason its not necessary to clone with SharePoint is that as long as you have deployed everything properly all custom code is in WSPs and any additional changes that have not been deployed via WSPs are in the ContentDB. I know as long as the ContentDBs are backed up all Features are deployed through Solutions (WSPs), I can rebuild the environment and have it configured as quickly as the DBs are restored to a SQL server.

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn , My Blog, @iasanders, BI in SP2013, SP2013 Content Packs.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:57 PM
  • i think we do backup entire VM, i know there's netbackup feature for sharepoint but i think we're not doing that yet. So basically

1. Create VMs ontarget locations, APP, WFE, and SQL.

2. Restore or move databases to new SQL server.

3. Point web app to new database

4. do DNS stuff

pretty sure there more details....

Thanks again.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Thanks Ivan. It appears to me that I'll do just like doing Disaster Rocevery to remote site. I will backup sharepoint farm, and create sharepoint servers (app, wfe, sql) to remote site, and restore farm to new server and move databases to new sp servers. Not sure how easy or hard it would be though.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:07 PM