To change the system date and time format through registry RRS feed

• Question

• To change the system date and time format through registry. Below settings is working fine in Win 8.1 and other OS version but not in Win 7 version. I try to do it manually into the registry by changing the below values but still the format is not reflected in the Date and Time.

Also I noticed that when I change the format manually in the Short Time in the "Region And Language" it doesn't change in the Date and Time shown in task bar , but its working fine when I change it for Long Time format manually. As i see in Windows 7 OS, it takes long time format to display in the task bar Clock and ignoring the Short Time format.

Is it because of any User level permissions required or anything settings to be enabled/disabled to change these values?.

RegistryKey rkey = Registry.CurrentUser.OpenSubKey(@"Control Panel\International", true);
    rkey.SetValue("sShortDate", "dd/MM/yyyy");
    rkey.SetValue("sShortTime", "HH:mm");
    rkey.SetValue("sTimeFormat", "HH:mm");
    rkey.Close();

PFB link for screenshots.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AremMyjuHHWzefsf1iECo_7ihN4

Monday, December 3, 2018 11:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Judging from your screenshot, it may be because of the delay. It means time has been going, and we haven't applied it yet, and by the time we apply it, it's been three minutes.

By default, short dates in the taskbar are displayed as MM/DD/YYYY, you can customize how the Date is displayed in the System Tray:

https://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/4194/windows-7-customize-how-the-date-is-displayed-in-the-system-tray/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by hurry yang Monday, December 3, 2018 7:43 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2018 7:25 PM
  • Sorry it did not help, even when I click on apply button and closing the window, still it didn't not have any effect on it in the system tray.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

In principle, the above method is OK. Try to make a patch update for Win7.

If it doesn't work, it is recommended that you refresh the system after backing up important data.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by hurry yang Wednesday, December 5, 2018 4:35 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 4:34 AM
  • Hi,

This issue is not only in one machine but I have tried in other machines which has Win 7 and still I have the same problem in other systems as well. But I noticed that after changing the date/time format in the registry and after restarting the system the changes are reflected in Win 7 machine but in other high end versions like 8.1 or 10 its working fine without restarting the machine.

So any help on this would be great.

Thanks,

Rajeev G

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 7:06 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

1. Checking by clicking Reset to restore the system default settings for numbers, currency, time and date.

2. Try to run sfc /scannow by opening a command prompt and check.

3. Check Windows Time Service

Please refer to the following link for details:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/cant-change-date-and-time-in-windows/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

• Edited by hurry yang Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:58 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

Tried the above but still the issue was not resolved for me.

Can someone provide more insight of the registry settings and its dependencies for updating the time and date formats.

Thanks,

Rajeev G

Friday, December 7, 2018 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

It is recommended that you try to contact Microsoft Remote Online Support, may be able to have a deeper view of the registry:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/windows/tech-services/?productId=100110237&issueId=100110238&subIssueId=100110239

Best regards,

Hurry

Friday, December 7, 2018 2:24 PM