Importing Custom MP after upgrading dependent MP RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a custom MP that contains overrides, monitors, etc. for targets in a sealed MP.  I exported and deleted the custom MP in order to upgrade the sealed MP.  After upgrading the sealed MP successfully, I am now trying to import the custom MP, but this import fails.  This custom MP is unsealed and the PublicKeyToken of the upgraded MP is the same as the original MP.  What do I need to do to this custom MP to make it import successfully?
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:12 PM

Answers

• I'm just explaining how the import and version checks work.

Which MP is not importing?  your custom one or your IBM provided one?

It is very likely that the new pack is incompatible with the old one (which typically leads to advice to delete the old to import the new), and as a result, you will have to dig into the override MP at the XML level to see what's going on.  If it is saying that nothing is good in the unsealed MP, it is possible that it is corrupt.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:13 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:29 PM

All replies

• Not enough detail.  You would have to look in the error that is being generated to understand what the import issue is caused by. MP reference is only the first order check that is done.

Since you deleted your override MP and then deleted your sealed MP, is it fair to say you had to delete the sealed MP because you could not import it after you made changes, upped the version # and resealed it?

The override MP may be referencing things in the original MP that went through breaking change in your sealed MP changes.  Normally you would not have to delete the original and overrides if you were not already in a breaking change state.

Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:16 PM
  • No, I've made no changes to the sealed management pack.  It is a third party vendor management pack, not my own.

Also, I only get the following error with no further details:

The requested management pack was invalid. See inner exception for details.
    Parameter name: managementPack

Friday, January 28, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Nah.  Look at the operations manager log on the computer where you tried the import. 

When importing a sealed MP you should no have to delete the prior version.

Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:59 AM
  • These are IBM hardware management packs and their "install procedures" state specifically to remove the original MPs before importing the new.  Would leaving the original and then importing the new make a difference to the custom MP that I later attempt to import?  Luckily, I'm doing all this in my test environment right now and can restore and start from square one with attempting to upgrade these MPs.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 12:08 PM
  • I'm just explaining how the import and version checks work.

Which MP is not importing?  your custom one or your IBM provided one?

It is very likely that the new pack is incompatible with the old one (which typically leads to advice to delete the old to import the new), and as a result, you will have to dig into the override MP at the XML level to see what's going on.  If it is saying that nothing is good in the unsealed MP, it is possible that it is corrupt.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:13 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:29 PM
  • As Dan says. probably some items in the MP have been removed, changed or renamed, like classes, discoveries, monitors and rules.

Edit the XML file for the overrides MP.

Look for <Overrides> and check if the classes, rules and other objects still exist in the sealed MP.

To create an XML of a sealed MP. First install the MP in your SCOM Management Group. Then use Operations Manager Shell to export that MP. Get-ManagementPack | Where {$_DisplayName -match "<IBM MP Display Name>" | Export-ManagementPack -Path "C:\export"

Look for these:

<Overrides>
          <RulePropertyOverride ID="<ID>" Context="<YourSealedMPAlias>!<ClassName>" Enforced="false" Rule="<YourSealedMPAlias>!<Rule>" Property="Enabled">
          <DiscoveryPropertyOverride ID="<ID>" Context="<YourSealedMPAlias>!<ClassName>" ContextInstance="<OBJECTGUID>" Enforced="false" Discovery="<YourSealedMPAlias>!<Discovery>" Property="Enabled">
          <DiscoveryConfigurationOverride ID="<ID>" Context="<YourSealedMPAlias>!<ClassName>" Enforced="false" Discovery="<YourSealedMPAlias>!<Discovery>" Parameter="Frequency" Module="DS">
          <MonitorConfigurationOverride ID="<ID>" Context="<YourSealedMPAlias>!<ClassName>" Enforced="false" Monitor="<YourSealedMPAlias>!<Monitor>" Parameter="Threshold">

Good luck! Best regards,

Michiel

System Center tech blog: http://michielw.blogspot.com

Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:28 AM